Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 overhaul kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 overhaul kit?

Who makes overhaul kits for the T56? Please list as many as you know of, I would really like to consider all of my options.

The trans is going behind a hot 350 in a 1/2 ton truck so strength & durability is a must.

Last edited by 90'rado; 10-23-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Banned

Other than bronze pads and billet keys , all the rebuild kits consist of the same exact parts from the same exact manufactor .
Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming it's a T56 from an F-Body, we offer our Level 2 Parts Package for $675 with free shipping:

http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...ackages/fbody/
Old 10-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Yeah it is from a 94 Camaro. Thanks for chiming in. If at the very least, I'll just do a light freshening up of the trans and go easy on it in terms of driving. I have put my engine combo on Desktop Dyno 2000 and I'm making somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 horsepower and 400 lb/ft of torque. Having this in a HEAVY truck is the only thing that has me slightly worried about durability.

Also, Do you guys think I should have the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate combo balanced??? I've been told that this will help the bearings in your engine along with other various parts last longer. I'm not against that by any means, but it's not a dedicated race machine, just a souped up daily driver... My friend whom is selling me the T56 didn't think the balance was necessary, he hasn't done it to the T56 in his 94. But I'm curious, what do you all think???

Thanks

EDIT: Joey, how strong is the Level 2 package???
Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The balance isn't 100% necessary, but it certainly would be nice before the install. If you bought the clutch kit/flywheel new and together, they should have been balanced before shipping.

We rate our Level 2 package at 700rwtq in an F-Body.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Banned

I usually do not worry about it if the stuff is new and sold as a match deal . I do have it checked if I am building an engine and already have the parts available .

As far as the strenght of the rebuild parts go , they are no stronger or weaker than whats already in there . If something breaks due to power levels or weight of the vehicle , its going to be actual hard parts like the gears , input shaft or output shaft . A rebuild kit consist or wear items like syncros , bearings , seals and such .
Old 10-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Cool, thanks for the advice. I should be picking up the T56 this weekend and tearing part-way into it to see if there is any damage. If all looks well, I'll just put it back together since I don't feel like I'm making enough power to warrant rebuilding it, yet.

What's the procedure for properly setting up the slave and master cylinders to avoid clutch failure, I've read some stuff on here about guys toasting clutches from improperly adjusted cylinders..

The trans that I'm getting would grind into gears occasionally and the guy I'm buying it from suspects it is something like bent shift fork or synchros. Again, any opinions on this?

the source, what drivetrain combo is in your mustang?

Quick Reply: t56 overhaul kit?