Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to get into the gears..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to get into the gears..

I recently changed the trans fluid in my M6... had 88k on it so I figured it was about time...

well it seems scratch that it is now harder to go into gears... I put what i hope was enough fluid in the trans... 4 quarts.. but if you guys have ever done it the backyard way with out a turkey baster or with a piece of hose attached to the damn bottle then you know that your not going to get all of the fluid in their...

the car wasnt level when i put the fluid in i had it on some stands.. in order to get to it..

I was wondering if its the level or the fluid itself..

I used mobel 1...

when I put the last quart in I saw a little dribble comming out of the hole I am now questioning myslelf wheater it was the level it self or the fluid comming back off of the hose i was using..

anyways what do you guys think.. Oh yea if moble 1 is bad then ill change for sure if most of you think that that is the problem.. and a guy told me at work if i changed back then i might lose my seals so Im kinda concerned their as well but the fluid has only been in the car for about a week and half..??????
Old 10-23-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Hopefully you put in ATF Dexron Mercon III. And if you put in 4 quarts then you're at max capacity.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

did you read the post ?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Mobile 1 is a brand type. I don't know if they make tranny fluid or not... If you said you put in Mobile 1 synthetic 10-30w oil then I would say you need to flush it and put in Dexron-Mercon III ATF fluid like it says on the side of the transmission.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Saying you used Mobil 1 doesn't mean anything to us, what kind of fluid was it? As Halloran already stated, you should use the ATF fluid it calls for. If you did that, then get the car level on jack stands and check the fluid level.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Default Mobil 1

There are some people who think that transmission fluid is the same as 10W-40 I have heard this since I started dealing with cars. However, I am not sure this is true, the additives in each fluid are very different. I will not say that it will not work because I have seen cars run on this combination and have no problems, however I would not do it to my car.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Halloran
Mobile 1 is a brand type. I don't know if they make tranny fluid or not... If you said you put in Mobile 1 synthetic 10-30w oil then I would say you need to flush it and put in Dexron-Mercon III ATF fluid like it says on the side of the transmission.
yeah, they make ATF and gear lube also

im betting that the correct fluid was not added, there is no reason for the transmission to be hard to put in gear when changing out the ATF
Old 10-24-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CBCCI
There are some people who think that transmission fluid is the same as 10W-40 I have heard this since I started dealing with cars. However, I am not sure this is true, the additives in each fluid are very different. I will not say that it will not work because I have seen cars run on this combination and have no problems, however I would not do it to my car.
transmission fluid has more cleaners in it than engine oil

a lot of people actually put a few quarts of ATF in their engine oil to clean the crankcase out, especially if they have sticky lifters
Old 10-24-2008, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

wow I love it... Lets stop to think for one minute that people have some damn common sense...

Transmission fluid
Mobil 1 yea its a brand common sense would tell you that i used Mobil 1 transmission fluid..

anyways I hope a moderater kills this thread Im sorry i asked for a intellegent response.. instead I got a couple of people who obvisoulsy think way too deep into these things.

Yea it says Dexron on the transmission.. Doesnt mean I didnt read around the forum first to see what others use.. in fact.. read this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/510788-manual-transmission-faq-look-here-first.html

Q: What transmission fluid do you recommend?

A: We use Mobil 1 ATF in all of our daily drivers. While Mobil 1 is what is desired some customers have trouble finding it in there locations. We also use GM Synchromesh. Royal Purple should not be used in a stock transmission as it has been known to cause premature blocker ring wear.

anyways have a good day

Moderator to kill please....