Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

More Textralia problems--- OZ700

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More Textralia problems--- OZ700

I have had the clutch in my car for about 5000 miles now and recently I have noticed it dragging some. The dragging was eventually fixed by an adjustable master cylinder but that’s not a big deal and it isn’t the problem. Before I put the mc on I pulled the trans off to make sure the bolts were still tight for the clutch and flywheel (they were) and the pads on the clutch are already worn down to the point that two of the rivets are rubbing on the flywheel. Normally I would have just left it apart but I needed my car so I used a dremel and took just a hair of material off the rivets so at least it wouldnt rub on the flywheel anymore. After I got it back together I put the adjustable mc on and took it to the track and now I'm having problems with it not fully engaging on very quick shifts. It will go into all the gears smooth as can be but it shudders/slips in every gear when I shift fast, but on the way home on the highway I put it in 6th and hit it and didnt slip at all. I was thinkin It was due to the clutch being so worn out but it didnt slip on my highway test and it seems kinda weird that it only started happening after I put the adjustable mc on. Anyone have any other ideas what could be wrong? And more importantly, has anyone heard of a tex clutch wearing out after only 5-6k miles??
Old 10-24-2008, 04:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the surface of the flywheel and pp look when you had it appart? With any clutch, as the disk wears thin the clamping ability of the pressure plate grows less and less. The same happens as the disk wears into the flywheel and pp.

I've seen a bunch of slipping aftermarket clutches but usually they seem to wear the pp and flywheel faster than the disk itself. I haven't seen a tex wear out that quick, but I'm willing to bet thats your problem. The first sign of a worn clutch will be a little slipping when banging gears. Pretty soon you'll probably notice the slipping in the upper gears as well.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

The pressure plate looked normal (light visual wear marks but no grooves or heat spots) the flywheel had more visual markings and slightly worse marks where ther rivets had been rubbing but no serious grooves like I expected after seeing the pads. I didnt really think about it until now but that was my first time to run on slicks and with the mc I was able to shift quite a bit faster than normal so maybe that combo just helped open my eyes to the weakening clutch.

Any other opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm so damn close to my goal it's sickening and I'm ready to put my car back to street trim...
Old 10-24-2008, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

I am running the OZ700 and don't have any problems with it. I am running a stock master and slave.

is your sig up to date with your mods?

I am launching on a 150 shot and it doesn't slip. I am on 28x10.50 ET Drags. No slip at all, clutch has 6000 miles on it. I am maxing the clutch out on what it's rated for. Time for a twin disk.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah my sig is current. I loved the clutch up until this happened, it didnt start dragging until about 2 months ago but even that wasnt too bad. I think Textralia has a good product overall and I know this kind of thing doesnt happen often but when a clutch wears out on a bolton car after only 5k miles something is wrong. I tried contacting Textralia about a week ago and a couple times since but havent heard anything back. I just want to know what I need to do to get this taken care of because as of now it's useless at the track. BTW the time in my sig was with this clutch and stock master and since then i've dropped another 70lbs and added prostars with slicks and some more suspension stuff yet I only managed a best of 11.8@115 with a 1.65 60' which is actually my best 60' to date... the shifts are killing me
Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
I tried contacting Textralia about a week ago and a couple times since but havent heard anything back.
yeah, good luck with that. it took me 3 emails (over a period of 2 weeks) before anyone bothered to respond.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Thats odd that Pete not responding. I get a response within 12hr from him, Even tho he is in Australia 14hrs ahead of me,(I think). J-ROD ussually is his US rep in Houston Tx. I belive mine was dragging, that led to a short life. Gonna have it rebuilt. I also have a very wore out OZ-700 that I hope to rebuild as a replacement when this one gets woreout.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some customers are lucky and get a prompt response. Others are left by the waist-side to rot for weeks on end, like myself.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Well I finally got a hold of someone on the phone a few weeks ago, but was told to send pics of it to the same email address that I had been sending to (sent 3 emails over a month ago and still nothing) so I sent yet another one and still nothing... that was about 3 weeks ago

It seems obvious at this point that they have no intentions of working with me on this, so I'm done with them. Would it be possible to just get another friction disc instead of an entirely new clutch?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Some customers are lucky and get a prompt response. Others are left by the waist-side to rot for weeks on end, like myself.
Same here, and I was in email communications.

F*ck it, I got a Tick Master Cyl and it fixed everything.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
F*ck it, I got a Tick Master Cyl and it fixed everything.
Yeah me too, that thing rocks ... So did you ever hear anything from Textralia?