Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch or hydraulic problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch or hydraulic problem?

My car is an 01 Z28, it has a ram powergrip HD clutch with a ram billet steel flywheel, and an 01+ gm slave. The clutch probably has about 8000 miles on it. I have gotten the hydraulic fluid hot at the track recently. It isn't really slipping but it is all at the same time. It only does it between shifts and only for a second, and seems after the longer I drive it the better it gets. The clutch still chatters when taking off, but when i am ripping on it, it seems to have just a second of slippage, before it grabs. I am really hoping this is just a hydraulic problem, because it is also hard to get into first and second coming to a stop sign. I ordered a ram slave, I believe a 520, today and plan on switching it out. Let me know your thoughts on this please.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 AM
wrencher

If it hangs up & slips some on the release after a shift, sure sounds like the clutch to me.
You can flush out your fluid by bleeding it, but I'm betting it wont cure it
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

What clutch would you recomend for a 420RWHP car that will last longer than 8000 miles?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrencher
If it hangs up & slips some on the release after a shift, sure sounds like the clutch to me.
You can flush out your fluid by bleeding it, but I'm betting it wont cure it
Not to nay say or anything because I really appreciate the advise but, is there no possibility that the slave could not be working properly? Not pushing enough force to the clutch to make it apply? Just curious I am kinda new to the hydraulic clutch world. It was an all of a sudden deal when the problem started. Drove it to work (worked fine), got back in the car after work and goofy acting clutch. Just really didn't think the clutch would give up that easily. It never showed any signs of weakness prior to that morning. I can be going down the highway in 6th gear and mash it to the floor and it holds, no slipping what so ever, just if I try to rip it in between gears. Like its not applying the clutch all the way quick enough. Sorry for the long post, but this deal is just kinda mind boggling to me... LOL!!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
wrencher

The slave pushes the throw out onto the pressure plate diaphram spring.
The diaphram spring has a lot of force to it. Without the hydraulic pressure applied I'd find it really hard to believe that the slave can cause the pressure plate to hang up.

the only thing that could possibly be a problem would be if you had an adjustable master over adjusted. It could cause the clutch to have issues like this.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

what do you mean by hanging up?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:38 AM
wrencher

Well if it is slipping after the shift & the RPM flair's after the release it's like the disc slips & grabs.
That's what i understood your problem as being by description?
If your hydraulic sytem or something else was at fault it would have to be appling force to the pressure plate. Thus causing it to hang up & slip.
Only time I have seen that problem on LSx style clutches is from an overadjusted master.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrencher
Well if it is slipping after the shift & the RPM flair's after the release it's like the disc slips & grabs.
That's what i understood your problem as being by description?
If your hydraulic sytem or something else was at fault it would have to be appling force to the pressure plate. Thus causing it to hang up & slip.
Only time I have seen that problem on LSx style clutches is from an overadjusted master.
Man you are way ahead of me in this field

My description might have been a little off, It does not grab when I shift immideatly. It is like there is a delay inbetween the pedal and the clutch it self. I let out on the clutch get back in the gas (fully) and it is like a second delay before the clutch grabs, and when it grabs, it grabs hard.

Quick Reply: clutch or hydraulic problem?