Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Does your clutch grab off the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Does your clutch grab off the floor?

I recently purchased the car in my sig,(zoom stage 5 clutch) and I had a 95 z28 m6 (centerforce clutch) before this. With both cars, my buddy has been trying to convince me that my clutch is not adjusted correctly because it doesnt grab right off the floor. I keep telling him that all t56's are like this, and they don't have an adjustable master cylinder so there is nothing i can do about it. Is my clutch supposed to grab off the floor, or am I right?

Last edited by MTBSully; 10-27-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock clutch disks have springy things between the facings called marcels. Any disk with marcels is going to have a much wider engage/disengage window that a race disk without marcels. Most higher performance clutch disks do not have marcels.

The marcels in a stock disk reduce the chatter and make the clutch easier to operate for anyone driving it and will start to disengage right off of the floor. Disks without marcels engage very high off the floor and very fast and are tricker to learn how to drive but resist slip better.

Also there is no clutch adjustment, its automatic.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

exactly what i thought, which is why both aftermarket clutches i have do not grab right off the floor correct?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
exactly what i thought, which is why both aftermarket clutches i have do not grab right off the floor correct?
yes

Quick Reply: Does your clutch grab off the floor?