Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd gear problems

Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear problems

So I recently replaced the master cyl and did the drill mod at the same time. I bleed the entire system and it has all new fluid it, and it's still clear, and there is no air in the system.

I'm still having problems going into third gear, havn't tried it going into 4th gear yet. It only does it at high rpms, like going down the drag strip. It doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping, but who knows. The car has 54k on it and it's the orginal clutch, has just a few bolt on's, LT's, y pipe, corsa cat back, SLP "flow pac", and UD pulley.

It shift's into 2nd just fine, but bounces off 3rd gear, no grinding, just bounces right off, and I loose all clutch pressure, the clutch pedal just sticks to the floor, I have to pull it off with my foot, then it only has 1/2 pedal, until I let the car coast. It will be a little difficult to shift for a bit, but then it's normal again until I get on it again. There is no grinding during the whole process, just does not want to go into gear.

Would this be a bad slave cly? Could the clutch be causing this issue? I've also heard that a bent 3/4 shift fork could be causing the 3rd gear miss, but if it's a bent fork then why am I loosing clutch pressure?

I've got a new LS7 clutch to put in, just havn't had time to. Also if it is the 3/4 shift fork causing this I want to fix it at the same time I do the clutch so I don't have to pull the tranny twice.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you try changing the slave, try this out, go with a higher fluid like Dot 5.1 and use a mityvac. I had the same problem you are describing and so far it's holding up.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give that a try.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm really wondering if it's got a bent shift fork, cause if it does I only want to pull the tranny once to do the clutch so I'll rebuild it at the same time.

Search this Thread