What people should know about clutch's

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What people should know about clutch's

Very informative video.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/P...et-a_91227.htm

I recently ordered a fidanza 4.3 and fidanza flywheel, and I had second thoughts about. I was worried about it not being streetable, but I got off the phone with Aaron from fidanza tech, and told him about my setup and goals. I plan on nitrous soon. Well, I had thoughts about downgrading to the 4 puck kevlar disc, he told me that it was not the right choice for me. He also said the bad thing about kevlar discs, is that you HAVE to get the break in right, otherwise the clutch WILL fail. Now the clutch that I got (4.3) is ceramic, which the break in is not that crucial. The bad thing about ceramic material is that the clutch is going to have some light chatter, and be less street friendly, but it depends on the driver.

So pretty much to sum it all up.

Regular carbon/kevlar/organic disc: very street friendly and can hold lower levels of power, not too bad on break in, but they glaze easily

Kevlar, either 4 puck or 6: still street friendly, can hold more power, but a bitch to break in.

Ceramic: grabby, still streetable, but prepare to not slip the clutch alot. Holds a lot of power, break in is easy.

Sintered iron: on/off switch, no slippage, throw a **** load of power at it and it'll hold.

There's also marcels and the sprung hub to worry about, but the vid will explain better than I can.

1. So balance your PP/flywheel

2. Stop being a cheap *** and get an adjustable master that can push more fluid than the stocker (tick, or mcleod) and new slave.

3. Research, think about the future plans for the car, get the right clutch.

I haven't heard **** about the fidanza clutches on ls1's, so I'll be the guinea pig and try one out. With all the help I've recieved from fidanza, I figure I'd go with what they recommend.

Last edited by fortmyerspolice; 11-17-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

let us know how that ceramic goes. that was an extremely helpful video.the ceramic material is the one i have kind of in mind but i don't have a strictly track car.both street fun and track for fun. let us know if its woth dealing with slight chattering.good luck
Old 11-12-2008, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That video was very informative.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very informative post. Good luck trying out the Fidanza. For a street car, avoid an aluminum flywheel. These f-cars are too heavy for an aluminum flywheel - they need the rotational mass of a steel flywheel to get moving from a stop.

As far as our Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit goes: GM should have used these from the factory. Our kit flows more fluid than the stocker and it improves shifting a million times over. Factory cylinders that are modified to be adjustable just don't get the job done. At the same time as a new clutch, pick up a new GM Slave and our Tick Master. You won't regret it!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joey@TickPerf
Very informative post. Good luck trying out the Fidanza. For a street car, avoid an aluminum flywheel. These f-cars are too heavy for an aluminum flywheel - they need the rotational mass of a steel flywheel to get moving from a stop.

As far as our Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit goes: GM should have used these from the factory. Our kit flows more fluid than the stocker and it improves shifting a million times over. Factory cylinders that are modified to be adjustable just don't get the job done. At the same time as a new clutch, pick up a new GM Slave and our Tick Master. You won't regret it!

That's the plan. I figured I'd really like an aluminum flywheel. My friend has a spec 3 and fidanza in his terminator and loves it. My car's also a little lighter than most f-bodies, and I only weigh 150lbs.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody has different taste - you may do it and love it! I speak from some experience however - here at the shop, we've had a few customers that bought aluminum flywheels and had us install them. Unfortunately, none of them were happy with their purchases. I've recommended a billet steel from day one - I've never seen anybody disappointed with them.

Best of luck - you are definitely on the lighter end of the spectrum!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

I couldn't resist, the flywheel only cost 250$ shipped . I'm not too into drag racing, more road race.

Quick Reply: What people should know about clutch's