Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Midplate question cable clutch

Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midplate question cable clutch

OK guys, here we go again, another T56 question. I have a LT based '56. Picked up a LS Mcleod bell off a member. Gonna buy the input shaft. Now, my question.

If I decide to go cable clutch instead of Hydraulic, do I still need to swap out the midplate? I would think no, but want a for sure answer.

I am working with a member here that has a LS based T56 AND a Viper T56 and he is putting the Viper '56 in a 67 Camaro. Now, he was told that he needs to shorten the tranny up some because of the shifter location, so he is gonna use my LT bell (he was told that it is shorter) and gonna use my input shaft (again, cause it is shorter).

Now, I told him that he was gonna have to swap out his miplate as well since he was gonna use my input and my bell (LT1 stuff) Now, am I correct in this? Or am I wrong? Can he still use his Viper midplate, with my LT bell and input shaft?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:05 PM
FormerVendor

I did find out the member is putting this all behind a Gen I SBC.

So, he has a Vper T56 that he plans on using my LT1 bellhousing and input shaft. Is he going to need to change teh midplate as well?

Do I need to change my midplate if I go cable clutch?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The viper midplate is setup for a Hyd slave/TOB. The LT1 input shaft isn't long enough to work with the stock Hyd slave, I'm not sure if any aftermarket slaves will work. Ideally he'll have change the midplate to an LT1 version, along with the input shaft and bell.

Normally the Viper shifter location will match up with the '60s GM cars, when using the Muncie bell, T56 adaptor plate, and LS1 (or longer) input shaft.

You will need an adaptor plate to work with a mechanical clutch setup on your LT1 T56. The input sleeve has to be cut off to fit the adaptor plate on, then the LS1 input shaft and extended pilot bushing.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The viper midplate is setup for a Hyd slave/TOB. The LT1 input shaft isn't long enough to work with the stock Hyd slave, I'm not sure if any aftermarket slaves will work. Ideally he'll have change the midplate to an LT1 version, along with the input shaft and bell.

Normally the Viper shifter location will match up with the '60s GM cars, when using the Muncie bell, T56 adaptor plate, and LS1 (or longer) input shaft.

You will need an adaptor plate to work with a mechanical clutch setup on your LT1 T56. The input sleeve has to be cut off to fit the adaptor plate on, then the LS1 input shaft and extended pilot bushing.

ALL RIGHT!!!! Thanks a million!! He was told that the Viper tranny would be too long for his 67 Camaro, and that is why he is using the LT bell and LT input shaft, as he was told that they were shorter, and it would move teh tranny forward, and put the shifter in the right location. At the same time, no one on this board has told him that. The guy is new (at least only has a few posts on here) and I ran into him because of my LT bell I was selling. Next thing you know, we start talking and boom, we are at this point. OK, I am going to try adn link this thread in a PM to him, so he can add any more info since he obviously knows more on what he tryingto accomplish and what he has been told.

THANKS!!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

If he needs to see some pictures of different setups , give him this link :

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...on%20pictures/
Old 01-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Banned

This is also a good way to convert an LSX based trans to a cable clutch setup :

Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by thesource
If he needs to see some pictures of different setups , give him this link :

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...on%20pictures/

Hey I appreciate the link, ALOT of good pics/info there!!! I figured you would be chiming in any minute, thanks again!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Midplate question cable clutch