Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Super Twin pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spec Super Twin pics

This thing is almost too pretty to install, made of all Billet Aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails Spec Super Twin pics-specsupertwin008.jpg   Spec Super Twin pics-specsupertwin009.jpg   Spec Super Twin pics-specsupertwin010.jpg   Spec Super Twin pics-specsupertwin011.jpg   Spec Super Twin pics-specsupertwin012.jpg  

Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much was it?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

Those are really nice but a little pricey .
Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
Those are really nice but a little pricey .

Not really considering this is my 5th clutch in less than 25K. Kept doing what everyone else did get the best cheapest clutch. It doesn't work, so I opted to do it the right way and this thing is fully rebuildable for around $400. Not a bad deal considering my Tex cost over $950 and slipped first time out on the dyno with 570 rwhp.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

I believe ill stick with the McLeod
Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Teching In

fully rebuildable? i like the sound of that. I have the tex twin disc and it gone in under a year. hopefully you'll have better luck with this one.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

95% of the vendors on this site recommend it. Most would not even tell me about this clutch when calling and asking vague questions just to see what they would say but when you brought this clutch up they almost all said that is what I would run if it were my car but we don't sell very many of them.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Not really considering this is my 5th clutch in less than 25K. Kept doing what everyone else did get the best cheapest clutch. It doesn't work, so I opted to do it the right way and this thing is fully rebuildable for around $400. Not a bad deal considering my Tex cost over $950 and slipped first time out on the dyno with 570 rwhp.
5th clutch? I'm still on my first Tex oz700 with 25k.....I drop it @7200...

I had a spec less than 500 miles......
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I, too, have not had luck with both a Spec 3 and later a Spec 3+.

I hope their Spec Super Twin series does well, but I'm sorry. I don't see how it can be recommended strongly so soon... Wait a year or two, then we'll know for sure. It does look like a quality unit that's for sure.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

This clutch has been out for awhile now.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

My Buddy just got the same one, it grabs hard!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/_204230.htm
Old 01-15-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
This clutch has been out for awhile now.

Really? No kidding?

And do you think anyone has hit 10k miles or something yet?

Have yet to hear about that.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
FormerVendor

I have a few points of clarification...in hopes that this thread will be as accurate as possible.

Busa, I am not sure who you spoke with but we generally determine pricing for rebuilds by assessing what needs to be replaced. In a full rebuild though, with new disc material, new friction surfaces, and a new floater plate pricing will be betweeh 50-60% of the initial kit cost. This can be less and would be determined on a case by case bases after inspection of the components.

Bboy, I am aware of a number of customers that have well over 10K miles and more than two years of use on these units. These are not just internally tested parts either. In fact, I have already received a few units for rebuild. None of those that have been returned were removed for wear or material related issues. They were sent back while the owners further modified the cars...some upgraded to higher stages, some simply opted to rebuild with the same capacity in mind.

I hope this info helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I have a few points of clarification...in hopes that this thread will be as accurate as possible.

Busa, I am not sure who you spoke with but we generally determine pricing for rebuilds by assessing what needs to be replaced. In a full rebuild though, with new disc material, new friction surfaces, and a new floater plate pricing will be betweeh 50-60% of the initial kit cost. This can be less and would be determined on a case by case bases after inspection of the components.

Bboy, I am aware of a number of customers that have well over 10K miles and more than two years of use on these units. These are not just internally tested parts either. In fact, I have already received a few units for rebuild. None of those that have been returned were removed for wear or material related issues. They were sent back while the owners further modified the cars...some upgraded to higher stages, some simply opted to rebuild with the same capacity in mind.

I hope this info helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
I'm sure at the comfort of your headquarters, you have dealt with those cases... Obviously you can surmise I originally referred to cases here on LS1tech... Users here, AFAIK (would love to be corrected if I'm totally wrong so I don't misinform), are just getting into the Super Twin series. Some users that I know of offhand, particularly Tiago, have just installed them a year or two ago, and I assure you these clutches have barely any miles on them yet... These are cars (the ones that justify such a clutch) that don't get driven much as it is... In the context of frequent posters of LS1tech I remind you.

Maybe a year or two from now, posters like the OP can come back and tell us how they're at 15k miles and such... Cool. For now, we're limited here to how pretty it looks and how hard the m'fer grabs. Looking good so far, so Kudos.

My Spec 3 sucked btw... My Spec 3+ was awesome, but it had a really heavy clutch pedal (unavoidable) and I fucked it up with a NASTY rear main seal leak so I never got a good test of mileage with it... FWIW.

I almost bought one, but then I found a Tex Exo-Skel twin for sale here at a used price but new in the box... Big price difference... If not I would have gone for the Spec... I had heard good things from Slohawk (sponsor here) about the Spec Super Twin grabbin'n hard on a customer's car.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 3+ and my spec 3+ before lasted for about 20k and I used to neglect my Hydraulics.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...2ci_158187.htm
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Really? No kidding?

And do you think anyone has hit 10k miles or something yet?

Have yet to hear about that.
Umm,I've been running these since the prototype's.I'll say 3-4years now?
No failures from known cars to get a new clutch atleast twice a year from abuse.How about 40-50k miles on them pushing 700+rwhp?

In truth,out of all the clutches we've destroyed/worn out.These have been the best so far.From street driving a high hp DD car to going to the track and doing 10-12 passes slipping the clutch out of the hole at 6000rpm and 800rwhp.

BTW-Tiago has the stage 5 disks which we never run due to the nature of iron disks. On/off clutch with no drivability.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
9 Second Club

My first twin had horrible street manners, very on/off zero slip, very high engagement point, difficult to drive.

when I sent it back to Spec they found out something was wrong with the pressure plate, I'll let Jeremy say more if need be. But the new clutch, is completely different, perfectly streetable, still same iron discs, but it is much better to drive, and it is slippable to take off, more of a street clutch.

Im putting quite a bit of power through it since the day it went in, I plan on continuing that. Even though my car is not a daily driver, every mile it gets is very hard
Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Umm,I've been running these since the prototype's.I'll say 3-4years now?
No failures from known cars to get a new clutch atleast twice a year from abuse.How about 40-50k miles on them pushing 700+rwhp?

In truth,out of all the clutches we've destroyed/worn out.These have been the best so far.From street driving a high hp DD car to going to the track and doing 10-12 passes slipping the clutch out of the hole at 6000rpm and 800rwhp.

BTW-Tiago has the stage 5 disks which we never run due to the nature of iron disks. On/off clutch with no drivability.

*cough*

I had heard good things from Slohawk (sponsor here) about the Spec Super Twin grabbin'n hard on a customer's car.

Have you ever posted about the 40k miles on them? Regardless, now I know... Cool.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

*cough*

Have you ever posted about the 40k miles on them? Regardless, now I know... Cool.
No biggie,I gave up posting feedback unless it's a post like this topic is.The twin is simply an awesome clutch.

Quick Reply: Spec Super Twin pics