Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP! squeeking/ grinding sound when I push in the cutch.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! squeeking/ grinding sound when I push in the cutch.

Half the time when I push in the clutch it makes this horrible squeeking sound. sounds like a pissed off squirrel almost.
car has 45k miles on it, put an ls7 clutch in 10k ago.

slave went out 2 weeks ago replaced that and it was fine until a couple days ago.

sometimes it doesnt want to go into gear whenI'm at stop also. if the car rolls a little it usually goes right into gear.

Anyone know what could cause this??
Old 02-03-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default noise

Sounds like possible throw out bearing issue, or maybe one of the springs in the center of the disc is coming out ? When the clutch was installed, new throw out bearing also ?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

No I didnt put a new throwout bearing in it when I installed the clutch. the dude at scoggin dickey said it should have been fine with 35k on it.

I DID replace it a couple weeks ago when the slave went out tho.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

oh ya...I am also getting alot of clutch chatter all of a sudden.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for before I drop the tranny
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

To be honest I can't help but wonder if this issue is related to a miss-aligned SAC machanism. Remember that these stock kits have a Self-adjusting-cover that in-and-of-itself can complicate the function of the clutch. If the SAC had miss-aligned and was hung-up it could cause slippage (as it wouldn't allow the plate to clamp fully) and chatter because it wouldn't let the cover release fully). This is my best guess as to the cause of your issue based on the info you provided.

The way you can check this is to take the clutch out of the car and look at the SAC-springs that can be found in a horizontal orientation in the top of the cover. If the springs are not equally compressed/released then this indicates that the mechanism is not functioning properly.

You can reset the SAC-mechanism by using a press to compress the diaphragm fingers which will unlock the adjusters and by then using a flat-head screw-driver to push the retaining tabs (that hold the springs in place) back towards their compressed default position. I know this may sound complicated but once you see what I am referencing it should be much clearer. You can always give me a call if you have questions. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

thanks SPEC-01, I'll be sure to look at that when I get a chance to drop the tranny.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

No problem at all! Let me know what you find and I will be happy to assist you further.

Quick Reply: HELP! squeeking/ grinding sound when I push in the cutch.