Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 > spec 3+

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 > spec 3+

well i ordered the spec 3+ with flywheel and it lasted a massive 2000ish miles on my 377rwhp formula + 100 shot = 477ish

spec was very unhelpfull and i'll never use them again i now have a LS7set up using the same master and slave as before and its running great and already have over 5000 miles on it and 3 times the number of passes on it with a best 60 foot of 1.50

thats all i have to say
Old 02-11-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are not alone when it comes to low mileage spec clutches.

Last edited by bearcatt; 02-11-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never had a spec but have been happy with my LS7.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Who did you speak with here? Did you send pictures of the assembly to us for assessment? I agree that a stage 3+ (or any clutch for the most part) should hold more than 2000 miles...but, if there were some other factors involved they could impact the clutches life. If you have pictures please either post them or email them to me for assessment. My email is Jeremy@specclutch.com Thanks!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well the LS7 is still going strong it now has over 12 passes on it and closing in on 5000 miles . i finally took the car to a 1/4 mile track but took it easy on it lol i left from 3200 and went a 1.8 short time normally i leave harder and cut 1.50s but i went 1.8short and 11.4 @123 MPH i will leave harder the 27th and 28th and report some new times afterwards

SPEC-01 thanks but you are months to late and over $900 short i don't care at this point the factors cause the factors are the same and this clutch is fine. i can even feather this one where as i didn't (cause it was suggested not to) feather the spec clutch and as far as that mickey mouse bull crap warrenty of what 90 days ???? not many people drive these cars daily so why even have that crap that car didn't get drivin not even 200 miles the first 90 days so thats some crap there. who ever i talked to on the phone wasn't really worried about finding the cause because there is so many factors and just short answered me till i hung up ..... all that for $900+ i don't have that much money to burn. no pictures was asked for but i did take some but since that was so long ago who knows were they are
Old 02-20-2009, 04:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gah. SPEC should do something about their rep on LS1Tech. I KNOW it's cost them good business. SPEC's handling of LS1Tech has lost them several thousands of dollars gross. I'm certain of it.

SPEC needs to become a sponsor and do some serious damage control; launch some sort of campaign to regain Techers' confidence. Right now, on the largest LS1 site on the Net, SPEC is a bad word.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

your right but none the less i'm happy with the LS7 and really happy with the formula i figured it was a 11.5 to 11.6 car but heck i ran a 11.4 with eas i'm guessing a 11.1 to 11.0 and this is the car i drive back and forth to houston tx to philadelphia ms getting 26mpg every month
Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy's run spec3's, not the plus but they seem to do ok. But this isnt the first time i have read this, and i was looking into going with a spec, but still unsure of getting one or an LS7, i dont go to the track much, i still have the 10bolt, but i will be doing a cam and full exhaust this spring.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

I have a spec 3 with almost 15K on it with 50+ hard launches (limited to 1.7's by the 10-bolt) and power shifting. I'm not necessarily saying this is the case, but I think clutch life has an awful lot to do with proper installation and break in. If it doesn't seat correctly, its not going to last. I've been happy with my SPEC.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

As most of you know I always do what I can to help any time anyone has an issue. I hate that there are those that have issues, but I also hate that so many times the clutch is blamed when the actual cause is unrelated to the parts. Many of you have seen this, and know how important installation, break-in and useage are to clutch life.

I am not saying that these were to blame for Streetraceguys issues because I never saw the parts or discussed any of his issues with him personally. I can't help but wonder how I can be "months late" though, when responding to this topic, when the first post of this thread was made on 2/11/09...that just doesn't add up? Something seems amiss, right?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

well your months late because he clearly already installed his ls7 clutch and has over 5000 miles on it. Id say it took him atleast a month to rack up those miles.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the clutch started giving me problems so i called and got the cold shoulder it was clear that i wasn't getting any help beings when i explained what had happened there was a well it could be anything but doesn't sound like the clutch and that was it like i was wrong for trying to learn what could caused it.. so i put it on the lift and tore it down to check it out it was the clutch and was bad granted the first signs of slippage was intering houston so it had to be drivin back home 11 hours... i called back about a warrenty or at least a new one at a discount and was giving the 90 days crap we i work off shore so a 90 day warrenty has my car sitting for 60 of them days. clearly wasn't wanting to hear it or help me i finally let him go and called to have the LS7 one on the way it got in the day i left to go back to work so there goes a month then it got moved off the lift and was 3 months before i could get it back on thats 4 months and have been driving it now for 2 months granted over 3000 miles is on the interstate thats 6 months since i last talked to spec that is months to late

i shouldn't have to post on the internet in front of the world to get concern from spec cause when it was one on one on the phone spec didn't give a crap and i wish now i would of remembered the guys name that didn't help me so i could let you know cause it clearly wasn't you SPEC-01 and i'm sure that would help you prevent this in the future for your customers. but that much money for the service i got well i got mad and straight up didn't give a crap about his name sorry

not saying yall don't have good clutches yall just didn't sell me one and i don't have the money to keep buying them till i get that one good one cause my master and slave cylinder was not at fault and nether was I not sure the LS7 clutch is gonna like the LS3 with the cam and the nitrous that is soon to go in it guess i'll be looking for a new clutch soon lol and maybe it will hold it i'll let ya know
Old 02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

I understand your frustration, I would be upset too, and if there is ever anything that you need in the future you are welcome to contact me directly. What did you find when you pulled the clutch kit? There had to have been something that caused it to go from working to not working...my honest guess is contamination, but again I haven't seen the parts. As a side note, our warranty is 120 days from the day of purchase, not 90.

The fact that the slipping happened and the car was then driven 11 hours despite this would have very likely led to parts that were reuined by the time you got home. That means that finding the ultimate cause could be quite difficult...for you or me via pictures. I know that you are set on this having been a clutch issue, perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't...there is simply no way for anyone to know at this point. Thanks again for the info and have agood weekend.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

well ill add to their good reputation. i have a spec 2 in my car. for the first 1000 miles or so the clutch chatter was almost unbearable. i was thinking about ripping it out and putting in another one. but laziness and lack of money prevailed. it now feels just like the stock one.

the part that concerned costumer satisfaction was this.

i had a throwout bearing break within the warranty period. unfortunately this was the day before the hurricane hit and my car was stranded at work for about 2 weeks. during this time the clutch went out of warranty. i called SPEC, sent them pics of the bearing, and they immediately sent me one out of a SPEC 3 and its been going great since. with at least 10k hard driven miles on it
Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
but I also hate that so many times the clutch is blamed when the actual cause is unrelated to the parts.
Just some friendly advice to a company I have spent ~$1,000 with... You're not sponsors, you're not doing deals, you're not working PR... Just posting under SPEC-01 in problem threads is nothing. You have no presence on the largest LS1 board on the Net. What do you expect? If you were a sponsor and on here BSing with people, running sales now and again, etc., etc. you would have nut swingers coming to your defense and the general benefit of a positive image in the community.

It's cost you thousands, I know it has. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea 90-120 still isn't no time for the many races that work offshore.... i'll try and find you some pics but it will take mw another 10 days to get home so its probably gonna be about 3 weeks.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My LS7 was overcome by the motor (and tires) on the street last weekend.

So, I'm in the market for a stronger clutch....

And it's hard to believe that my LS7 won't bite on the street, yet you're cutting 1.5 60' times...

As far as mileage and ease of pedal I love the LS7... it just won't hold with ~480whp and a Nitto 315 DR....
Old 02-21-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ATLSS
My LS7 was overcome by the motor (and tires) on the street last weekend.

So, I'm in the market for a stronger clutch....

And it's hard to believe that my LS7 won't bite on the street, yet you're cutting 1.5 60' times...

As far as mileage and ease of pedal I love the LS7... it just won't hold with ~480whp and a Nitto 315 DR....
well believe it the real question is how long its still a fairly new clutch heck its liable to go out anytime thats why i'm keeping yall up dated so far the clutch has been great and as far as on the street my car is 377rwhp+100wet so ruffly 477hp and i run 26x11.5x15 et streets and got oh about 15 passes on the street and about 5 passes on the track with it so far the day i go home i have the pinks allout event in belle rose so march the 1st or 2nd i'll be posting up how it done and if i still have a clutch lol reality is none of them last forever esp. if you drag race it

Quick Reply: LS7 > spec 3+