Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Newly installed Clutch is making a grinding/rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly installed Clutch is making a grinding/rubbing noise

I just had a Monster Stage 2 dual-friction clutch installed by a local mechanic on my 2000 Camaro SS. I have about 250 miles on the clutch so far. I noticed that when I'm on an incline the clutch makes a very noticeable rubbing/grinding noise as the clutch is being engaged. This is at a low RPM, no more then 1500. If I partially engage the clutch to keep the car from rolling backwards it is quite loud. It only makes this noise when i am on an incline, and engaging the clutch. There is no noise when the clutch is fully engaged, or fully disengaged. There is also still some chatter when I slowly ease the clutch out incline or not.

I only kept the clutch partially engaged for about 5 seconds listening to the noise and I could also smell the clutch burning. I stopped after this as I didn't want to burn the clutch out. I don't see why the clutch would be begin burning that quickly, but maybe that's normal for this clutch since its composite on one side?

I don't know if this is all normal or not as this is the first high performance clutch I have ever driven on. Any assistance is appreciated.

Car is a 2000 Camaro SS, with no major mod's other then an Intake-Mod, and a performance cat-back exhaust.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MeNorski
I just had a Monster Stage 2 dual-friction clutch installed by a local mechanic on my 2000 Camaro SS. I have about 250 miles on the clutch so far. I noticed that when I'm on an incline the clutch makes a very noticeable rubbing/grinding noise as the clutch is being engaged. This is at a low RPM, no more then 1500. If I partially engage the clutch to keep the car from rolling backwards it is quite loud. It only makes this noise when i am on an incline, and engaging the clutch. There is no noise when the clutch is fully engaged, or fully disengaged. There is also still some chatter when I slowly ease the clutch out incline or not.

I only kept the clutch partially engaged for about 5 seconds listening to the noise and I could also smell the clutch burning. I stopped after this as I didn't want to burn the clutch out. I don't see why the clutch would be begin burning that quickly, but maybe that's normal for this clutch since its composite on one side?

I don't know if this is all normal or not as this is the first high performance clutch I have ever driven on. Any assistance is appreciated.

Car is a 2000 Camaro SS, with no major mod's other then an Intake-Mod, and a performance cat-back exhaust.

Well, it sounds like a problem, and you really need to talk to "SNLPerformance" he is the sponsor on here for Monster, and he will DEFINITELY help you out, one way or the other. Chatter is normal for the first 250-500 miles on most HP clutches, but this "grinding" and "burning smell" are not signs of normal behavior. So, before we can say it IS the clutch, and not something else, couple questions:

First, are you "riding" the clutch? When you are on that incline, are you using the clutch to hold you in place, or the brakes?

Second, how many clutches have you put in your car? Miles? Etc... And was it a reputable shop that installed your Monster?

Third, do you have a new slave? What about the MC? What ALL was replaced when you did the clutch?

And last, IF it IS the clutch, no worries, as you have that great Monster 12 month warranty. But before you get into that, let's make sure it IS the clutch, and not soemthing else
Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Teching In

To answer your questions:

1. Yes when I was on an incline and I was riding the clutch. I was using the clutch not the brakes. The sound becomes very pronounced if I do that.

2. I have 110,000 miles on the car. I bought it from a dealer after he got it from an auction so I don't know how many times the clutch was replaced. The old clutch was OEM though. I decided to replace the clutch since the car had a bad pilot bearing. So i figured I would just replace everything. Also the shop that installed my clutch is a guy I know personally. He's worked on my car many times and does a good job. So I know he knows what hes doing. He runs a general auto repair shop. Not a performance, or tuning shop. But that doesn't mean he didn't make a mistake.

3. Yes I got the premium package from monster so we did replace the slave. We didn't replace the MC however.

I will definitely speak with SNL performance. Ill call Monday if he doesn't see my post on the boards first.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

To answer your questions:

1. Yes when I was on an incline and I was riding the clutch. I was using the clutch not the brakes. The sound becomes very pronounced if I do that.

2. I have 110,000 miles on the car. I bought it from a dealer after he got it from an auction so I don't know how many times the clutch was replaced. The old clutch was OEM though. I decided to replace the clutch since the car had a bad pilot bearing. So i figured I would just replace everything. Also the shop that installed my clutch is a guy I know personally. He's worked on my car many times and does a good job. So I know he knows what hes doing. He runs a general auto repair shop. Not a performance, or tuning shop. But that doesn't mean he didn't make a mistake.

3. Yes I got the premium package from monster so we did replace the slave. We didn't replace the MC however.

I will definitely speak with SNL performance. Ill call Monday if he doesn't see my post on the boards first.
OK, very good information there!

Since you were riding the clutch holding teh car in place on the incline, tha tis POSSIBLY the reason you were getting that "burning" smell, again, since you were riding the clutch. The noise though? Hmmmm, possibly related chatter that you are gonna get the first few hundred miles. Maybe not. Still trying to picture that sound
More than likely your shop installed it correctly, not to much too a clutch install. It COULD be a slave/bleeding issue and TOB making noise??
I would not think with the symptons you are having, it is in the MC, but you really can't rule it out either (even though I do not think it is the problem) SNLperformance will answer on Monday monring, he normally does not hang around too much on the weekends. I went ahead and sent him a PM alerting him of this thread for you though.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Yeah I know the burning smell was due to the friction. That will always happen if you ride the clutch like that enough. I just thought it was odd that it started to smell after riding the clutch for only 4 seconds, below 1500 RPM with a cold engine. All this on top of the loud rubbing/grinding noise. I have never driven on a clutch like this before though so maybe its normal?

All I know is the sound made me picture the clutch literally grinding away against the pressure plate, or flywheel.

Either way, Ill get it cleared up when I talk to Steve or Eric. Thanks for sending them a PM Gen414.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it drive ok? do you hear those noises, or smell that smell any other time? if not, it could just be operator error/break in period..
Old 02-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Teching In

The car drives fine when the clutch is engaged, There are no issues. There are also no issues when the clutch is disengaged.

As I mentioned above, it only makes the noise while I am engaging the clutch and on an incline. I can let the clutch out very slowly, on a flat road and there is little to no noise, and no smell. If I do hear the noise it is extremely faint and not something I would even worry about. When I release the clutch on a hill it will always make the noise pretty loud as long as I let the clutch out slow. And by slow I mean a standard start, as you normally would leaving from a light. If I dump the clutch it catches so fast, I don't hear the noise at all. I have been driving a manual for many years and I don't burn out clutches. This was the first time I ever smelled a clutch except for the day I learned to drive a manual. I only smelled it though when I let my foot ride on the clutch keeping the car from going backward on an incline. This was only about 4 seconds. Maybe that is normal, i dunno. If it is its not a problem anyway since I don't drive like that. I just did it so I could listen to the noise. It is definitely a rotational noise as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Your welcome. It might be just the break in period that you are experiencing. The grinding noise got me to thinking about possibly tranny related. My truck (in my sig) I have a 6 speed, and I start out in 2nd gear99.9% of the time. Now, when I "lug" the motor from a dead stop, I get a "grinding" "roaring" type noise from teh tranny when I do that. Maybe that is what you were/are hearing?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Teching In

If it were tranny related I would have assumed I would have heard the noise other times. Especially when driving WOT. I only hear it though when the clutch is being engaged to the flywheel. I don't want to rule any possibilities out though.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

If it were tranny related I would have assumed I would have heard the noise other times. Especially when driving WOT. I only hear it though when the clutch is being engaged to the flywheel. I don't want to rule any possibilities out though.
Well, as I mentioned, the only time I hear that noise in my tranny, is at that one time....when I lug the motor from a dead stop. Other than that, tranny shifts perfect, no other noise, and if I do not lug the motor, it will not make that noise either, so......
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

I actually have the same problem with my RAM HD 900. If i am ever backing up a steep hill or something where i have to drive really slow and slip the clutch i can hear a rubbing sound. Sometimes it is very pronounced. I have about 850 miles on the new clutch setup, and i replaced the clutch, flywheel, slave, master, and pilot bearing. I'm not sure if this is normal for these clutches.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on here?

Last edited by hj99Z; 02-16-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Teching In

I just spoke to Steve from SNL Performance. He mentioned he had heard about this noise a few times previously, and that it could be due to the pressure plate bolts coming loose. There should also be no chatter not even on break in for a stage 2 Monster clutch. Steve also mentioned that if the bolts come loose the pressure plate or clutch can come loose break out of the housing and total the car. Or something like that anyway. Either way the end result could be very bad. I'm going to have it checked out, by my mechanic and I will update everyone.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just spoke to Steve from SNL Performance. He mentioned he had heard about this noise a few times previously, and that it could be due to the pressure plate bolts coming loose. There should also be no chatter not even on break in for a stage 2 Monster clutch. Steve also mentioned that if the bolts come loose the pressure plate or clutch can come loose break out of the housing and total the car. Or something like that anyway. Either way the end result could be very bad. I'm going to have it checked out, by my mechanic and I will update everyone.
It was nice speaking with you, please let me know what your installer says about the procedures he used.

Hopefully it's something that was simply overlooked. Either way, if it's on our side we'll ship you another unit immediately.

Let me know,

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

If the noise occurs during the engagement of the clutch only, especially when riding the clutch, then it is quite possible related to the disc scuffing the plate and flywheel friction surfaces. This will be most common when the weather and the friction material are cold. Have you noticed the sound when the car is warm?

In riding the clutch like this you are effectively slipping it and as it slips friction occurs and this can result in noise. This is just my .02...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
It was nice speaking with you, please let me know what your installer says about the procedures he used.

Hopefully it's something that was simply overlooked. Either way, if it's on our side we'll ship you another unit immediately.

Let me know,
It was good speaking with you as well. I really appreciate the help. Ill let you know as soon as I get my car in.

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
If the noise occurs during the engagement of the clutch only, especially when riding the clutch, then it is quite possible related to the disc scuffing the plate and flywheel friction surfaces. This will be most common when the weather and the friction material are cold. Have you noticed the sound when the car is warm?

In riding the clutch like this you are effectively slipping it and as it slips friction occurs and this can result in noise. This is just my .02...
Yeah I agree its definitely the clutch scuffing the pressure plate. Judging by how loud the sound was, i am almost sure the pressure plate has some pretty large gouges in it. Its one of those noises you can pretty easily picture with your mind what is happening. I do live in New York so it is on the colder side right now. However the noise was happening even after the clutch was burning, I could smell it. So it must have warmed up pretty fast and it was still making the noise. The first time I noticed it though the car was fully warmed up and I was making a u-turn on a steep hill.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Keep an eye, or an ear on it and let us know if anything else become apparent. Having some sound during engagement with a CSM (carbon-semi-metallic) disc isn't that unusual. There really shouldn't be any gouges...but there would likely be some strata (a geologic term that I use to describe the circular wear-in seen commonly in clutches, this can also be visualized as the growth rings seen when you look at a tree stump). At any rate, I am glad that I could be of assistance. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i have noticed that it is not as pronounced once the clutch warms up. Thanks for the info. . .

Quick Reply: Newly installed Clutch is making a grinding/rubbing noise