Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

To GM Synchromesh It or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck, you can even run it on the blood of a small rhinoceros if you had to in a pinch...

I'll be running Royal Purple Max ATF into my rebuilt tranny, the blood stinks when it gets hot...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I see that the Penzoil Synchromesh is the same fluid as GM synchromesh, but the issue is that neither is reccommended in the T56.
Re-read summit's site, Recommended for all Tremec transmissions. a T-56 is made by Tremec.

ATF is designed for Automatic Transmissions, it needs detergents because there is wear and friction meterial that floats around and hopefully the filter catches it.

The only thing the T-56 has is 2 half dollar sized magnets. This transmission is all hard parts and does not need detergent. GM found it more cost effective filling 100,000+ units with the same fluid rather then having 2 different set ups.

Think about it.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

rockland standard gear the people who do crazy rebuilds on t56s and all other trans and transfercases recomended that i oly use syncromesh after the rebuild my trans...i listen to them...i use royal purple syncromesh
Old 04-04-2009, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Syncromesh.

ATF sucks. (Big time)

GM are cheap bastards.

Ignore the sticker.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=BlackScreaminMachine;GM found it more cost effective filling 100,000+ units with the same fluid rather then having 2 different set ups.

Think about it.[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding. I'd bet that was a huge part of the reason. They don't want 100 different types of fluids on the line as it just adds room for error and extra hazmat requirments.

I've never had a t56 feel better than when filled up with penzoil synchromesh. I run it and so do friends with the same verdict.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Alright,, I'm going with syncromesh,, especially if I am paying that much for the stuff... Think I'll take back the RP ATV get RP syncromesh...

I should learn to question GM engineering after seeing where the bleeder screw is,, I laughed like a maniac when I figured out where it was... going to bench bleed the new master slave combo before I put the tranny in so I don't have to worry about bleeding the hydraulics
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Re-read summit's site, Recommended for all Tremec transmissions. a T-56 is made by Tremec.

ATF is designed for Automatic Transmissions, it needs detergents because there is wear and friction meterial that floats around and hopefully the filter catches it.

The only thing the T-56 has is 2 half dollar sized magnets. This transmission is all hard parts and does not need detergent. GM found it more cost effective filling 100,000+ units with the same fluid rather then having 2 different set ups.

Think about it.
i don't see why he is trying to convince people, he sounds like one of those i read the manual and follow everything in it to the T guys.

i've used pennzoil syncromesh in both of my m6 cars and the shifting got so much smoother, i've had it in my current car for 30k miles, when i opened up the transmission to upgrade it everything still looked brand new.
here is a thread from last year, there are plenty more just like it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...id-t-56-a.html
Old 04-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by EdmontonSS
Syncromesh. ATF sucks. (Big time) GM are cheap bastards. Ignore the sticker.
Since you're in Edmonton, you can answer this question better than anybody: how is synchromesh in cold weather? Or anyone else with experience.

To my surprise, cold shifting (esp. 1-2) felt rougher with Mobil 1 than regular Dexron III.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to play devils advocate, but some of best T56 builders that run amazing 6spd times and shift harder and faster than most of us will recommend just plain ol dexIII.

That said...I just changed my fluid from Pennzoil Syncro, to Castrol DexIII and I noticed things are alittle smoother than before. This isnt a great comparison, because I just recently installed the Tick master cylinder as well. So what Im going to do, is run the Dex for awhile. See how it goes. Then im going to pump in 4 new qts of Pennzoil again. Its the only way to tell if there is a difference. I dont mind spending alittle money on an experiment...so if its better, then cool Ill stick with the Pennzoil. If it gets notchy again, Ill just dump it and toss in some new Dex.

Haha there is nothing worse than trying to figure out the best product to use, then getting 8000 different opinions.

J.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT-

I went from wanting to go with GM synchromesh, then after reading, dexron 3 and now again back to synchromesh.

I really don't wanna put some fluid in it that wont protect it enough (as im sure none of you do either!)
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

I switched to syncromesh. And it made my trans feel all wrong.. Just shifted different.. That was a costly mistake. I'll never run anything other than mobile 1 ATF again ..
Old 04-07-2009, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Since you're in Edmonton, you can answer this question better than anybody: how is synchromesh in cold weather? Or anyone else with experience.

To my surprise, cold shifting (esp. 1-2) felt rougher with Mobil 1 than regular Dexron III.
I think the ATF might be a little lighter and a little better when it gets REALLY cold, the Syncromesh stiffens up in my truck when its about -30 to -40 out, but it's never been terrible. I've never kept ATF long enough in one of my vehicles to compare vehicle to vehicle. The car gets garaged all winter, the Syncromesh is certainly no issue in any weather a hi-po car will be seeing. The guys here that have gearboxes requiring gear oil or motor oil usually mix in something lighter, 50/50 motor oil and gear oil in a "gear oil" gearbox for example.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by m6speed
i don't see why he is trying to convince people, he sounds like one of those i read the manual and follow everything in it to the T guys.
i've used pennzoil syncromesh in both of my m6 cars and the shifting got so much smoother, i've had it in my current car for 30k miles, when i opened up the transmission to upgrade it everything still looked brand new.
here is a thread from last year, there are plenty more just like it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...id-t-56-a.html
Sadly that is true, but no response from him either. I think I get too into it with people but to be honest and I did state this, and I will again.

I am not saying ATF is bad, and not to use it, transmissions are not blowing up.

BUT ATF is not the only fluid, there are better ones out there and can be had as cheaply, Hence Pennzoil Synchromesh.

If I need to do another t-56 or redo the current one, I will re use this fluid.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdmontonSS
Syncromesh.

ATF sucks. (Big time)

GM are cheap bastards.

Ignore the sticker.
GM didn't design the T56

The T56 is engineered and built by Tremec. Their engineers are the ones who specified that ATF be used. There is a negligable cost difference between fluids, they didn't choose ATF "because its cheaper".

For all you guys running Synchromesh or otherwise, I'm glad if its working out for you. However, I've never read heard anyone say it made a night and day difference by any means. The trans is designed for ATF, thats what it calls for, thats what works well, thats what I'll use.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Internet Mechanic

GM didn't design the T56

The T56 is engineered and built by Tremec. Their engineers are the ones who specified that ATF be used. There is a negligable cost difference between fluids, they didn't choose ATF "because its cheaper".

For all you guys running Synchromesh or otherwise, I'm glad if its working out for you. However, I've never read heard anyone say it made a night and day difference by any means. The trans is designed for ATF, thats what it calls for, thats what works well, thats what I'll use.
Oh hell to the yes they did!

ATF can be used in two transmissions vs 1 for each kind.

Your arguing a moot point, and unfortunately no one here is going to change your mind or what fluid you put in your transmission. Never mind the fact that this fluid will probably be only changed once or maybr twice in the lifetime of the transmission. It would probably be rebuilt due to operator error before the lubrication breaks down and allows the unit to eat itself.

For me it was night and day.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh hell to the yes they did!

ATF can be used in two transmissions vs 1 for each kind.

Your arguing a moot point, and unfortunately no one here is going to change your mind or what fluid you put in your transmission. Never mind the fact that this fluid will probably be only changed once or maybr twice in the lifetime of the transmission. It would probably be rebuilt due to operator error before the lubrication breaks down and allows the unit to eat itself.

For me it was night and day.
Its a BORG WARNER/TREMEC T56. They built the transmission and spec'd out the fluid. I've done a full rebuilt on my T56, and with 92,000 miles on it, the only visible wear was on the blocker rings and the synchronizer teeth, which was due to abusive driving. Obviously ATF is a good choice of fluid. When Tremec designed the blocker rings and synchros, they designed them to work with ATF. Not a thicker or thinner fluid with a different viscosity index, which can impede the speed at which the blocker rings accelerate the next gear. The Tremec factory service manual says right in it: Lubricant: Dexron III, IIE, 4.1 Quarts.

Sounds to me like you're talking more from your personal opinion than from any knowledge about transmissions. If you like the Synchromesh than fine, its your transmission, but its never a good idea to try and reccommend non-factory fluids to other people when you don't have the means to make sure they are fully compatible yourself. And as for what Summit says, I wouldn't trust Summit's technical advice for anything. They didn't built the trans or engineer the fluids, they are just selling products.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Its a BORG WARNER/TREMEC T56. They built the transmission and spec'd out the fluid. I've done a full rebuilt on my T56, and with 92,000 miles on it, the only visible wear was on the blocker rings and the synchronizer teeth, which was due to abusive driving. Obviously ATF is a good choice of fluid. When Tremec designed the blocker rings and synchros, they designed them to work with ATF. Not a thicker or thinner fluid with a different viscosity index, which can impede the speed at which the blocker rings accelerate the next gear. The Tremec factory service manual says right in it: Lubricant: Dexron III, IIE, 4.1 Quarts.

Sounds to me like you're talking more from your personal opinion than from any knowledge about transmissions. If you like the Synchromesh than fine, its your transmission, but its never a good idea to try and reccommend non-factory fluids to other people when you don't have the means to make sure they are fully compatible yourself. And as for what Summit says, I wouldn't trust Summit's technical advice for anything. They didn't built the trans or engineer the fluids, they are just selling products.
you need to read the actual tremec service manuals.

they really don't specify certain lubricants, just give their recommended one but say you can use others, but not to use gear oil or other lubricants similar since they will damage blocker rings

to make things even easier..read this thread, actual info from tremec.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...l-support.html
I see a lot of questions on here asking about what trans fluid should be used in the t-56. I called up Tremec technical support to get the final answer.

-Dexron III is THE most highly recommended all round choice, specifically Texaco/Havoline brand.

-Dexron VI- Still being evaluated and tested, NOT recommended for the T-56 at this time and has caused issues so far in preliminary evaluation.

-Syncromesh- Not really recommended, but can be used in high temp high stress applications(drag racing, very hot climates etc.) since it is thicker than dexron III for some added protection.

-Synthetic- Mobil 1 is the only brand advisable to use and tested by Tremec, can cause shifting issues in colder climates.

So there you go, straight from the manufacturer.
the reason people say gm syncromesh(pennzoil) is because:
GM Synchromesh is what is in it from the factory and is a Dextron 3 fluid. Mobil 1 ATF is Dextron 3 compatible.

Last edited by m6speed; 04-08-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Internet Mechanic

Aside from the few un-credible facts you have listed just now, and not before I have been the only one to do so. I am no engineer, nor a transmission builder but if you were, I am sure you would have spoken up. But I have invovled with a few transmission builds from T-56's to TH400's and even a few 4L60e's and I would say I have a good understanding.

Your arguing about a sticker on the transmission case, I am now and in the future going to be recommending Synchromesh which goes against what the sticker says.

Now mind you if I got a different oil cap and now says use only Mobile 1, then I am to shun all other grades of oil. That is nonsense. Tremec makes transmissions for all companies but they are filled at the factory.

What I will say we are beating a dead horse, there is plenty of feedback on both and I would say you could even flip a coin.

Pick the fluid you want and have fun. Because that is what car is all about.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by m6speed
you need to read the actual tremec service manuals.

they really don't specify certain lubricants, just give their recommended one but say you can use others, but not to use gear oil or other lubricants similar since they will damage blocker rings

to make things even easier..read this thread, actual info from tremec.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...l-support.html

the reason people say gm syncromesh(pennzoil) is because:
I didnt get to see this until after my post, but thank you I could not find that, and I didnt want to post un-credible/documented information. if I can find a source, I often do. Thanks for the link. I will keep that for when I recommend Pennzoil Synchromesh.

Even funnier, I posted on this OVER A YEAR AGO!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Launching!

I didnt get to see this until after my post, but thank you I could not find that, and I didnt want to post un-credible/documented information. if I can find a source, I often do. Thanks for the link. I will keep that for when I recommend Pennzoil Synchromesh.
no prob man, i've read this stuff so many times in this section that i usually remember most of the threads and have some of the good stuff like that one bookmarked.

Quick Reply: To GM Synchromesh It or Not?