Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

To GM Synchromesh It or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by m6speed
you need to read the actual tremec service manuals.

they really don't specify certain lubricants, just give their recommended one but say you can use others, but not to use gear oil or other lubricants similar since they will damage blocker rings
No, YOU need to read the actual Tremec service manual:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...ice_Manual.pdf

Page 46. It specifically states what type of fluid to use. Nowhere does it say you can use other lubricants.

to make things even easier..read this thread, actual info from tremec.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...l-support.html
Your link supports exactly what I've been saying:

"-Dexron III is THE most highly recommended all round choice, specifically Texaco/Havoline brand.

-Dexron VI- Still being evaluated and tested, NOT recommended for the T-56 at this time and has caused issues so far in preliminary evaluation.

-Syncromesh- Not really recommended, but can be used in high temp high stress applications(drag racing, very hot climates etc.) since it is thicker than dexron III for some added protection.

-Synthetic- Mobil 1 is the only brand advisable to use and tested by Tremec, can cause shifting issues in colder climates."

the reason people say gm syncromesh(pennzoil) is because:

GM Synchromesh is what is in it from the factory and is a Dextron 3 fluid. Mobil 1 ATF is Dextron 3 compatible.
You are quickly proving that you haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about. T56's DO NOT ship with GM Synchromesh from the factory, drain the fluid on a brand new T56 and it will be ATF. Synchromesh is NOT a "Dexron III" Fluid, Dexron III is Dexron III, and thats it. Its a type of fluid, not merely a minimum spec. They are completely different formulations. If Sychromesh was a Dex III equivelent, you would be able to run it in automatic transmissions without any problems. Put Synchromesh in an automatic, and you'll see how quickly it goes from a perfectly good trans to 200lb boat anchor.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Aside from the few un-credible facts you have listed just now, and not before I have been the only one to do so. I am no engineer, nor a transmission builder but if you were, I am sure you would have spoken up. But I have invovled with a few transmission builds from T-56's to TH400's and even a few 4L60e's and I would say I have a good understanding.
And what un-credible facts have I listed?? Please, do tell. Everything I said is either first hand knowledge, or straight from the manufacturer.

Your arguing about a sticker on the transmission case, I am now and in the future going to be recommending Synchromesh which goes against what the sticker says.
Use Synchromesh for yourself all you want. But its not good practice to reccommend alternative fluids to other members when you have no hard facts or credible information available to back up your choice, just that you think it shifts better.

I'm not trying to get personal here, and I don't want you to take this discussion the wrong way, its merely that, a discussion. Its just that its in everyone's best interest to have some hard facts behind your reccommendations when giving suggestions to other members.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this thread went further then anticipated!

So basically even Tremec doesn't fully neglect GM Synchromesh and actually states its good for "higher temperatures" due to it being thicker than dexron III. Now im starting to think that GM synchromesh would be good for me seeing as I only drive the car during the summer evenings.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
Well this thread went further then anticipated!

So basically even Tremec doesn't fully neglect GM Synchromesh and actually states its good for "higher temperatures" due to it being thicker than dexron III. Now im starting to think that GM synchromesh would be good for me seeing as I only drive the car during the summer evenings.
Per Tremec:

GM Synchromesh - "Not really reccommended"

Do you have shifting issues when the trans is hot?? All the issues I've had are when the trans is cold, the warmer it gets the better it seems to get. I used to get gear clash all the time when it was cool/cold out before I rebuilt my transmission.

Whe my trans is fully warmed up, it shifts awesome, no clash or notchiness. Thats with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Per Tremec:

GM Synchromesh - "Not really reccommended"

Do you have shifting issues when the trans is hot?? All the issues I've had are when the trans is cold, the warmer it gets the better it seems to get. I used to get gear clash all the time when it was cool/cold out before I rebuilt my transmission.

Whe my trans is fully warmed up, it shifts awesome, no clash or notchiness. Thats with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.
mine shifts fine when warmed up with pennzoil syncromesh, little notchy when cold but smooths out when warmed up. my transmission grenaded with mobil 1. but i blame it on the previous owners driving skills.
like in the quote
-Syncromesh- Not really recommended, but can be used in high temp high stress applications(drag racing, very hot climates etc.) since it is thicker than dexron III for some added protection.

directly from tremec.

i say if you should just call tremec and ask them and post up since you don't agree with anyone.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Not to further muddy the water, but I have a Tremec TKO 600 (bought new from Keisler) in my 70 Nova and it cleary states in the destruction manual to run GM synchomesh and gives the GM part number, which is the same as Pennzoil Sychromesh. So in that tranny I run what they recommend. I think it goes so far as to say NOT to run ATF, I think.

In my 99 formula/M6 which has the big Dexron III sticker on the side of the tranny I run Redline D4.

No issues either place......go figure....
Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

-Synthetic- Mobil 1 is the only brand advisable to use and tested by Tremec, can cause shifting issues in colder climates.
Originally Posted by Shatterz
The tech guy from Tremec SPECIFICALLY told me that synthetics can cause hard, notchy shifting in cold weather. He suggested NOT using synthetic if you live where it gets cold often.
I've never tried synchromesh, but this info from the other thread exactly matches my experience with Mobil 1. I drained it and replaced it with Dexron III and it's much better.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Launching!

all arguing aside,
it all depends on the driver and what feels good to him, try out different fluids and see what you like, or see if someone has a certain fluid in his car and compare it to yours.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I need your opinions and advice. My cars got 21K miles on it and Im not 100% sure that the fluid has ever been replaced in my t56.

I was wondering if its a good idea to go flush it and change the fluids with GM synchromesh?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
My tranny has 121K miles on it and I'm 100% sure it has NOT ever been replaced.

You're asking for trouble. Leave it alone.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
And what un-credible facts have I listed?? Please, do tell. Everything I said is either first hand knowledge, or straight from the manufacturer.

Use Synchromesh for yourself all you want. But its not good practice to reccommend alternative fluids to other members when you have no hard facts or credible information available to back up your choice, just that you think it shifts better.

I'm not trying to get personal here, and I don't want you to take this discussion the wrong way, its merely that, a discussion. Its just that its in everyone's best interest to have some hard facts behind your reccommendations when giving suggestions to other members.
Again, I posted at least links. Which included data on the oil analysis.

Yet nothing from you. Everyone has first hand knowledge including me but I guess mine is not as good as yours.

Yet again your 1st hand knowledge is looking at a transmission case.

I absolutely will recommend Synchromesh everytime it is asked, that you can rest assured about.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Launching!

Again, I posted at least links. Which included data on the oil analysis.

Yet nothing from you. Everyone has first hand knowledge including me but I guess mine is not as good as yours.

Yet again your 1st hand knowledge is looking at a transmission case.

I absolutely will recommend Synchromesh everytime it is asked, that you can rest assured about.
agreed
Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt expect if to be a pissing match here, I just simply asked what most of you run and how you like it. Half are saying dexron and the other half synchromesh. I wish it were easier, like when i had my SHO, everyone recommended to run synchromesh in that tranny. Oh well, cant win them all. btw whats thicker, dexron II or mobil 1 ATF?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Launching!

I just put castrol non-syn ATF in mine @70k and it shifts smoother. The fluid that was in there smelt burnt, looked dirty, and you could see tons of tiny golden sparkles.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

I need to change mine out,she's having problems going into third now it seem. So how many Quarts does she hold?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Grn4fbody
I need to change mine out,she's having problems going into third now it seem. So how many Quarts does she hold?
4 qts

...and while a fluid change is good...your 3 rd gear issue "may" be bent 3-4 fork if it is stock. A steel replacement fork is the typical upgrade.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ******
4 qts

...and while a fluid change is good...your 3 rd gear issue "may" be bent 3-4 fork if it is stock. A steel replacement fork is the typical upgrade.
I'm kinda afraid of that, I'll change the fluid to see if that fixes it
Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt expect if to be a pissing match here, I just simply asked what most of you run and how you like it. Half are saying dexron and the other half synchromesh. I wish it were easier, like when i had my SHO, everyone recommended to run synchromesh in that tranny. Oh well, cant win them all. btw whats thicker, dexron II or mobil 1 ATF?
Mobil 1 is Dexron III and Dexron III supercedes Dexron II, so they should all be the same viscosity.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Bumping an old thread because I have a bone to pick.

FWIW I hated synchromesh. When I tried it out suddenly my t56 ran crazy hot. It was like the heat of a thousand suns coming through the transmission tunnel. (Side note: this is an RX7 - LS1 swap so my insulation may be different that yours.) However, I lliterally couldn't leave my leg against the side of the tunnel without pain from the heat.

So then 1,000 miles later I pulled the fluid. It came out so weird looking and separated that I took a picture of the old synchromesh in the pan.

The part that really got me was all the gold speckles of metal particles in the fluid. I switched to Mobil 1 ATF and temps are back to normal plus it shifts smoother than the synchromesh did.

Screw that crap. Synchromesh is a bad idea in a t56.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frijolee
Bumping an old thread because I have a bone to pick.

FWIW I hated synchromesh. When I tried it out suddenly my t56 ran crazy hot. It was like the heat of a thousand suns coming through the transmission tunnel. (Side note: this is an RX7 - LS1 swap so my insulation may be different that yours.) However, I lliterally couldn't leave my leg against the side of the tunnel without pain from the heat.

So then 1,000 miles later I pulled the fluid. It came out so weird looking and separated that I took a picture of the old synchromesh in the pan.

The part that really got me was all the gold speckles of metal particles in the fluid. I switched to Mobil 1 ATF and temps are back to normal plus it shifts smoother than the synchromesh did.

Screw that crap. Synchromesh is a bad idea in a t56.

I will repost this from the other post you made......

^ You had transmission issues, not fluid issues. This stuff is the same exact thing that GM bottles up and sells at the dealership. I have had this for 2 seasons since I did my first clutch swap. It was markedly improved over factory ATF which is put in the transmission.

Frijolee- I would pull your trans and inspect, I also would have you make sure your donut magnets are glued in and collecting any shavings. All trans have some metal floating around, the 2 large magnets collect most of it.

For anyone else, do a simple google search and there are quite a few different car enthusiest of different cars and backgrounds that seem to be quite favorable to the fluid.
The following users liked this post:
NovaNut21 (05-20-2020)
Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I've been running a mix of M1 ATF and Synchromesh for a couple years. Seems to be a good combo for me.

Quick Reply: To GM Synchromesh It or Not?