Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

To GM Synchromesh It or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To GM Synchromesh It or Not?

Guys,

I need your opinions and advice. My cars got 21K miles on it and Im not 100% sure that the fluid has ever been replaced in my t56.

I was wondering if its a good idea to go flush it and change the fluids with GM synchromesh?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Old 03-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

Personally I would use non synthetic ATF in it .
Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The label on your trans says to use Dexron III. I changed mine out at 80,000 mi with Mobil 1 syn ATF. Didn't like it and decided just to follow the instructions.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

I tried synthetic a while back and immediately had shifting problems. Went to Walmart and bought Supertech brand ATF, or whatever it called for. It has been flawless for 20k miles.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

so stick with dexron 3?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Pennzoil Synchromesh which is what GM uses, its cheaper and can be found at a auto parts store.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I used Pennzoil Synchromesh which is what GM uses, its cheaper and can be found at a auto parts store.
No, GM uses ATF in the T56. It says right on the side of the case, "Dexron III Fluid Only".

Don't use anything other than ATF in a T56. It was designed for that fluid, not Synchromesh. Everything from the seals to the blocker rings were engineered to work with ATF.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and it works well.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

as noted ATF fluid...I run Redline D4
Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I put in synchromesh and seems to be running much better that with the regular ATF.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

so everyone has different opinions on whats the best fluid to use....
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically. Same thing goes for engine oil, coolant, and clutch fluid.

Right now I have Penzoil Syncro in my trans...and Ill be switching back to regular old DEX III to see if makes a difference.

Guys from Tick recommend regular old DexIII and they use that in their quick cars...so thats good enough reasoning for me to try it again.

J.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
No, GM uses ATF in the T56. It says right on the side of the case, "Dexron III Fluid Only".

Don't use anything other than ATF in a T56. It was designed for that fluid, not Synchromesh. Everything from the seals to the blocker rings were engineered to work with ATF.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and it works well.
If you go to a Dealer, its the same fluid, Pennzoil Makes it. That works fine as well.

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/Do...omeshFluid.PDF (Synchromesh)

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/Do...ssionFluid.pdf (ATF/Dexron III)

http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm (More research data)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=nal-12345349 (link to buy GM Synchromesh)

High performance oil for your Tremec manual transmission.
GM Performance Parts Synchromesh transmission fluid is designed for GM manual transmissions and is the recommended lubricant for all Tremec brand manual transmissions. It has been formulated with a partially synthetic base for excellent lubrication properties and does not break down after time. GM Performance Parts Synchromesh transmission fluid can withstand high temperatures as well as cool, low temperatures.

Not saying ATF is bad, not saying NOT to use it but you can use this with confidence.

My trans shifts better with this then 20k stock fluid. Much more noticeable smooth shifting in cold weather. The added bonus is that GM fluid is near 20$ per quart vs 5$.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Dexron III. I've changed the fluid twice already, no complaints.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Pennzoil synchromesh in my car which is supposed to be the same thing as GM synchromesh. My car had 40k miles when I did this. No issues after new fluid was put in. I would say go with pennzoil syncromesh, can be had at an auto parts store for cheap.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
If you go to a Dealer, its the same fluid, Pennzoil Makes it. That works fine as well.

High performance oil for your Tremec manual transmission.
GM Performance Parts Synchromesh transmission fluid is designed for GM manual transmissions and is the recommended lubricant for all Tremec brand manual transmissions. It has been formulated with a partially synthetic base for excellent lubrication properties and does not break down after time. GM Performance Parts Synchromesh transmission fluid can withstand high temperatures as well as cool, low temperatures.

Not saying ATF is bad, not saying NOT to use it but you can use this with confidence.

My trans shifts better with this then 20k stock fluid. Much more noticeable smooth shifting in cold weather. The added bonus is that GM fluid is near 20$ per quart vs 5$.
I see that the Penzoil Synchromesh is the same fluid as GM synchromesh, but the issue is that neither is reccommended in the T56.

Synchromesh was basically formulated as a better alternative to motor oil or gear oil. Its not designed to replace ATF, they are very different formulas. Quoted directly from your source:

"A post on the message board at www.oilanalysis.com found Synchromesh to consist of a 5W30 non-detergent oil with a friction modifer and an EP (extreme pressure) additive. It is made under contract for General Motors by Pennzoil (APC 3378) or by Texaco (Code 1874 MTX Fluid)."

A non-detergent 5W-30 oil definitely not the same as ATF. As everyone knows, ATF is a strong detergent formula.

Bottom like is the transmission was engineered with ATF as the only lubricant. Meaning the bearing tolerances, blocker ring materials, gear tolerances, and seals were all designed for ATF, not anything else.

I'm not saying Synchromesh doesn't work - I know it does, and many people are happy with it. I'm just saying I'd rather stick to what the manufacturer of the transmission reccommends, because you don't really know the long-term effects of using the improper fluid.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

i used a valvoline ATF, no issues
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where can i purchase this dexron 3 stuff from?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
Where can i purchase this dexron 3 stuff from?
Any auto parts store. Many manufacturers make it, such as Valvoline, Castrol, and Mobil 1. As long as it is Dexron III you can use it.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Any auto parts store. Many manufacturers make it, such as Valvoline, Castrol, and Mobil 1. As long as it is Dexron III you can use it.
Oh i see how it works. So even tho all these manufacturers produce it, they are all the same. Exact same formulas rite?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

i know in large industial allisons you can use atf or 15-40 for diesels (i believe it is non detergent or low detergent). i also know gas engine motor oil in a four wheeler will load up your friction disks and burn up your clutch. (i get to get a new clutch for mine)

also you will find it says mercron/ dextron lll on the bottle. also know that ATF3 is NOT the same as mercron/dextron lll

Quick Reply: To GM Synchromesh It or Not?