Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Kevlar vs. Ceramic clutch material?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kevlar vs. Ceramic clutch material?

okay, im going to put a spec stage 3 in my LT1 camaro.

its not a daily driver. its a car that i drive every once in a while and also take to the strip. i need it to hold the power of the mods that are in my sig.

ive heard that the ceramic clutch holds just as good when its hot.

so, what are your opinions....

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Kevlar has a long wear life! Ceramic is great for performance though, holds great however tends to be VERY grabby. Do your research, i haven't had any problems with Centerforce and you can't beat the price!

Last edited by scidav87; 04-01-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

SS, Our stage 3 clutch kits utilize a carbon-semi-metallic disc material. These disc, as a result of their pucked design, will be more on and off in terms of engagement. Because of this quicker bite the majority of people driving these on the street will slip them more than normal in an effort to smooth out the engagement. In truth this actually makes the engagement worse. If you go with a Stage 3 just remember not to slip it excessively.

A Stage 2 on the otherhand is going to provide a smoother engagement and will generally be very durable. Of course, life expectancy is greatly dependent on the way it is driven and the flatness of the surfaces used (as well as other factors). I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

oh man! ive been all twisted up. ive been thinking that these were spec clutches. i guess that the "stage 3" threw me off.

http://www.hdmaddog.com/Chevrolet-GM...-p3679215.html

like i said, i rarely drive the car and ive got a decent amount of ponies. i want a clutch that im not sorry i burnt up and have to buy a new one right away, so streetablilty really isnt on the top of my priority list for my choice...

my goal is to get my 109mph trap speed car solidly into the 12s where it should be. right now my clutch starts smelling after a quick dry hop before my run. its only an OE replacement that was installed before i did my mods. i know its starting to slip because my trap speeds are starting to drop into the 106s after a few runs.

thanks for the help guys.
Jeremy

Quick Reply: Kevlar vs. Ceramic clutch material?