Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch or possible transmission problem? Please need some input

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch or possible transmission problem? Please need some input

Today I went to go look at a 6.0 GTO for sale, after we left we hopped on the highway and were driving home. The guy in the GTO then flew by me so I dropped a few gears and gave chase. When I went to hit 4th gear the car would not go into gear. It made some type of noise and wouldent go into any gear. It would feel like it went into the gear, but when I let the clutch out it would just grind. We let the car roll to a stop and got it towed. The clutch pedal is very, very light and easy to press down and does not feel right. Does this sound like my clutch went or could it be something more serious (and expensive) like the T-56.

Also does anyone have any recomendations for a new clutch if so? Is anyone having any good deals on clutches right now? My mods are currently:

MS3 cam
PRC valvetrain
Long tubes
ORY
Exhaust
Lid
Shifter

Car is probably putting down a little over 400RWHP so the clutch has to hold that power without a problem and future mods are probably rear and DR's, and some spray (125 shot) so it would need to hold power like that. Thanks for any input
Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a clutch to ne. i just got through changeing mine to the ls7. and mine was at the spongy feeling. sound like it just gave all at once. good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What clutch did you have in it?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Is there any fluid leaking out of the bell housing? It sounds like the slave cylinder or master cylinder may have taken a dump.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by yellowbird1232
Is there any fluid leaking out of the bell housing? It sounds like the slave cylinder or master cylinder may have taken a dump.
Thanks for the input, honestly I haven't even looked under the car yet, it was dark out when it happened and I had it towed back and left it sitting outside and its raining so I still haven't checked.

Also the clutch I believe was a stock clutch, I never changed it, not sure about the previous owner though.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:34 PM
FormerVendor

The description you provide leads me to believe that this is most likely hydraulic in nature. If you popped a slave-cylinder you will find fluid dripping from the bell or inside the bell when the trans is dropped. If it is a Master you may not see fluid under the car initially and thus it is best to visually inspect the area around the Master visually.

Ultimately, your inability to select a gear was related to a clutch that wouldn't release. And, as I am sure you know release occurs as a result of a properly working Slave and Master Cylinder. Let us know what you find. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input, its still nasty out so I can't check it now, but I will deff. keep this thread posted.

Quick Reply: Clutch or possible transmission problem? Please need some input