Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting to 5th sometimes I grind reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shifting to 5th sometimes I grind reverse

So after working on my ls1/t56 rx7 for the last 3 years I finally got it on the road a few months ago. It shifted great and I was able to get through the gears in a real hurry. SO over the last few months I've been driving it and while learning the car I found out that 5th is very close to 3rd and going too far over will create a terrible grinding noise as obviously I've made the mistake in almost putting it in reverse. It wont go into reverse but just grind.

SHowed my mechanic the car, and he did the same thing. Showed another friend and let him drive it and he did the same thing.. its very hard not to do if your used to any other manual transmission. So its only grinded about 5 times total but now the car just shifts like hell its still not bad but its not sweet like it used to be and thrid is especially tough.

Another thing I had an issue with was my rear tranny seal was leaking. So I might just be low on fluid but everytime I pull the driveshaft the slip yoke is covered in tranny fluid so I know I have some in there.I just wanted to know if the grinding going into reverse is normal if your not paying attention or in a stock Fbody can you just slam it over into fifth and it will find its place.

The thing I'm worried about is during cruising I havent ground it since.. but I am pretty sure I'll grind it REALLY bad powershifting during racing or whatever into 5th and at that speed I dont want an issue
Old 04-03-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the distance from 3-5 is no different than 1-3 so if you are going into reverse, you are moving a **** load MORE over than you think. In all the manual cars I've driven, it would be very unnatural feeling to move as far as you do to get to reverse when you are intending 5th.

Do you have the reverse lockout solonoid working? by default it's closed thereby blocking out 5th in a proper setup. You may want to jury rig it to a switch so you can keep out of reverse.

Quick Reply: Shifting to 5th sometimes I grind reverse