Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Trans help (noises) T56

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Trans help (noises) T56

my tranny is making some sort of stupid banging noise like theres a bunch of rocks in it...

lol i know very descriptive right?

anyhow, it does it at idle, and then it turns into more of a bearing vibration with a load on it. when you push in the clutch it goes mostly away, but i can feel the vibration in the pedal.

ive taken it out and replaced the TO bearing, which didnt help.

so i took it out again and tore it down....the rear mainshaft bearing felt loose, so i replaced that too...to no avail.

every gear/bearing/synchro everything was replaced last year when it got rebuilt, and all the gears adn synchros are perfect...which leads me to think bearings.

i dont think ive warped any shafts, but i dont know for sure...id like to take it somewhere and get it done, but im broke lol. so any advice would help.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

Would you say it sounds like a gear rattle or more like a bunch of rocks inside the unit getting ground up?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

its mostly a constant banging, like theres an inch of play somewhere. no real scratching till you start to engage gears...and even then its not a gear grinding.

it goes in every gear perfectly and smoothly.

its not like im easy on the unit, i had a couple 3-2 shifts at about 90 while i was racing...so im sure thats the cause of this. it didnt happen instantly, took about 2-3 weeks to get as bad as it has.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned

Does it have a large camshaft? What type of clutch disc does it have? Did it just start out of blue or did it occur after a certain modification?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

all stock internals engine wise. never had a problem before.

just put a spec stage 3 in a couple months ago, 2nd one of those in a year.

car hasnt seen mods in almost a year, so it cant be that.

this is 99% most likely a result of the banging into 2nd from 3rd and not into 4th...at 90-100ish.

i really wish the rest of the driveline would have taken the abuse...arent u-joints supposed to break before transmissions? napa u-joints and a moser 9" = broken t56 i guess

Quick Reply: Need Trans help (noises) T56