Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Trouble

I went to go drive my camaro today and noticed it was kind of hard to get into reverse to back out. Then noticed that the pedal had almost no feel after that. I parked it checked everything over and it seemed to be fine so I decided to take it for a drive to see what happened.

It had pretty much no pedal getting into first. now after cruising for about a half mile or so I noticed that the pedal pumped back up but then after coming to a stop again it would go back to almost nothing.

I think it may be the master going out but am not sure as Im not a clutch guru by any means. Any input on this issue would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Is it ALL the gears you are having problems with? If so, one or a few things:
(also, how old is your clutch/hydraulics)

1st: Probaly hydraulics Have you checked fluid (level AND color)? If tainted, flush, refill,and rebleed.

If the pedal is soft, THEN hard after you pump up or something to that effect, I would be willing to bet, it is hydraulics.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
Is it ALL the gears you are having problems with? If so, one or a few things:
(also, how old is your clutch/hydraulics)

1st: Probaly hydraulics Have you checked fluid (level AND color)? If tainted, flush, refill,and rebleed.

If the pedal is soft, THEN hard after you pump up or something to that effect, I would be willing to bet, it is hydraulics.

Not trouble with all gears just 1st and reverse. the car does have 101k on it

the fluid was full but pretty tainted so I am going to try a flush this weekend and see what happens with it. thanks for the info
Old 07-05-2009, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gixxertsi
Not trouble with all gears just 1st and reverse. the car does have 101k on it

the fluid was full but pretty tainted so I am going to try a flush this weekend and see what happens with it. thanks for the info

Well, NORMALLY if it is just one or two gears, it is trans related.

That being said, since fluid was nasty, a flush and rebleed would not hurt, and can only help, and is relatively cheap (obviously)
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 AM
Teching In

alright so I finally had time to do the flush and rebleed this weekend. everything went good and the test drive after showed an improvement in pedal feel for sure.

So I took the car for a little trip. went about 100 miles with no issues at all. Parked the car and went to drive it today and no pedal again.

Any ideas on what would cause this? Tried another rebleed too and worked again for a bit and then did the same thing.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 AM
FormerVendor

alright so I finally had time to do the flush and rebleed this weekend. everything went good and the test drive after showed an improvement in pedal feel for sure.

So I took the car for a little trip. went about 100 miles with no issues at all. Parked the car and went to drive it today and no pedal again.

Any ideas on what would cause this? Tried another rebleed too and worked again for a bit and then did the same thing.

Are you noticing any fluid loss? If so, you probaly have a slow leak @ MC/line/slave, and that is allowing air into the system.

How old is your setup (MC and slave)?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Teching In

I have not noticed any fluid loss, I checked the resevior twice and its at the same level as when I filled it.

The car has 101,xxx miles and Im assuming it is all factory still. Ive only had the car since 97,xxx tho.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

I have not noticed any fluid loss, I checked the resevior twice and its at the same level as when I filled it.

The car has 101,xxx miles and Im assuming it is all factory still. Ive only had the car since 97,xxx tho.

Well, I would put money at this point on hydraulics...MC or slave or both.

To save money, I would do this:

Replace MC first (easiest to do), bleed real good, drive it. If it fixes it, great. If not, do this:

Yank tranny, replace slave AND clutch. Now, the reason I say that is because of the trouble of yanking the tranny again to replace the clutch (if you only do the slave the first time) AND with 118K miles and probaly original clutch, it is pretty much time anyways.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Internal bleed-by would be a strong possibility and could explain the issues of lossed pedal feel and inconsistent release, without the typical leaks that one sees with a blown slave or master. I agree that replacing the master should be done first, as it is easiest...and afterwards re-group, bleed it and drive it, and let us know what you find.

As a side note, bleed-by occurs as a result of a weak or worn-through internal seal and can cause the syetem to lose pressure over time. This isn't something that can be seen when viewing the outside of the slave or master...and thus it is often misunderstood and miss-diagnosed.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Good luck man mine has come down to this exact same thing. I was never able to find a leak so I am just going to replace MC bleed and hope for the best lol. Be careful driving it mine was acting like this before the clutch pedal went to the floor and never came back leaving me stuck after work.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Teching In

update: checked the fluid the other day and it was down a bit. Im looking into replace the mc in hopes to fix the issue. would my best bet be to just upgrade to the tick mc?