See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Changing Transmission Fluid

Old 07-04-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing Transmission Fluid

I read in my car's owners manual that the manual transmission fluid doesn't require changing, however I've come across posts on here asking questions about changing their fluid. So my question is are you really never supposed to change the manual transmission fluid? Or should you drain and refill it every X0,000 miles?
Old 07-04-2009, 06:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
I read in my car's owners manual that the manual transmission fluid doesn't require changing, however I've come across posts on here asking questions about changing their fluid. So my question is are you really never supposed to change the manual transmission fluid? Or should you drain and refill it every X0,000 miles?

Ouch. You sure that was in teh owners manual? I have never read one, so I do not know is why I ask. If that IS the case, that's not entirely true. While the manual tranny fluid is not AS critical as teh fluid in say an automatic, the fluid still does break down, and needs replacing. How often? That is really dependent on YOUR driving conditions as well as how hard you are on a tranny. A good rule of thumb is every other year, unless you are pretty abusive or you put ALOT of miles on it. Almost like what brand oil....you ask 10 different people, you are gonna get 10 different answers.

In short, YES, you should change teh fluid.

Also, it is ATF that goes in your manual tranny
Old 07-04-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just switched mine over to pennzoil syncromesh, and i think i like this the best. ive had regular dextron 3, mobil 1 synthetic and now this. i change mine about every 10,000 miles.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by puggerton03
i just switched mine over to pennzoil syncromesh, and i think i like this the best. ive had regular dextron 3, mobil 1 synthetic and now this. i change mine about every 10,000 miles.

The Synchromesh is a little bit thicker than ATF (I use it in my NV5600 6 speed in my Cummins 1 ton).
Old 07-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gen414
The Synchromesh is a little bit thicker than ATF (I use it in my NV5600 6 speed in my Cummins 1 ton).
so is it not good for use in T-56's?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
so is it not good for use in T-56's?
No, not saying that. There are quite a few people that run it, and like it. I can not say that I have done any type of testing to say that the Syncromesh is bad for teh T56. All I can say is, teh T56 is designed to work with thinner based ATF. Thicker oil like teh 'Mesh, can provide an added "cushion" so to speak, in higher mileage trannies. Can give you an example, but of a T5.
A LONG time ago, had a T5 in a Mustang start to make alot of noise, alot of whine. So, I drained teh ATF that it called for, and added 10W30 motor oil. made it ALOT quieter, so, more is better, right? So, drained it, and added gear oil (like 80W90 or something), and all noise gone, AND it shifted great.. Now, i drove that tranny with gear oil in it for @ 10K miles, and never had a lick of problems with it after I added teh gear oil. Would I have eventually? Not sure. Car got totaled
So, I guess what I am saying is, the 'Mesh IS thicker than ATF, but not much, and would THINK that it would be fine to put in for long periods of time.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the information. But yeah I am sure that the manual says it doesn't need changed. I thought the same thing when I read it, i was very confused haha. Theres no filter like in an automatic right, just drain and fill
Old 07-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gen414
No, not saying that. There are quite a few people that run it, and like it. I can not say that I have done any type of testing to say that the Syncromesh is bad for teh T56. All I can say is, teh T56 is designed to work with thinner based ATF. Thicker oil like teh 'Mesh, can provide an added "cushion" so to speak, in higher mileage trannies. Can give you an example, but of a T5.
A LONG time ago, had a T5 in a Mustang start to make alot of noise, alot of whine. So, I drained teh ATF that it called for, and added 10W30 motor oil. made it ALOT quieter, so, more is better, right? So, drained it, and added gear oil (like 80W90 or something), and all noise gone, AND it shifted great.. Now, i drove that tranny with gear oil in it for @ 10K miles, and never had a lick of problems with it after I added teh gear oil. Would I have eventually? Not sure. Car got totaled
So, I guess what I am saying is, the 'Mesh IS thicker than ATF, but not much, and would THINK that it would be fine to put in for long periods of time.

thanks for the info, my t-56 has 120k on it but it shifts great and doesnt make any noise, but i may use the mesh since my tranny has so many miles on it.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
Thanks for the information. But yeah I am sure that the manual says it doesn't need changed. I thought the same thing when I read it, i was very confused haha. Theres no filter like in an automatic right, just drain and fill

You got it. No problem. No, no filter. Yes, just drain, and fill. There is a drain plug on side of tranny, and a fill plug.

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
thanks for the info, my t-56 has 120k on it but it shifts great and doesnt make any noise, but i may use the mesh since my tranny has so many miles on it.

Yeah, no problem. Anytime. Like I said, have seen (and heard) more and more people run it and like it (bout teh 'Mesh) but no long term testing that I know of, but again, would not think too much about it since it is not that much thicker of a viscosity over the ATF. I would think that with the 'mesh, in higher mileage trannies especially, would think it would help smooth out the tranny some. Again, with that T5 I mentioned before, that was the case (with teh thicker oil in it)
Old 07-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Teching In

I remember years ago, when I had my LT1 M6, that Honda brand ATF was the way to go. The trans felt great after changing to that fluid. Is this still the case? I now have a 99 TA M6 and I plan on doing this soon.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys
Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

I may try the "mesh" soon or something different. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic and after my six speed (freshly built) gets hot after I beat on it, it starts making alot of noise and stuff like the fluid thins out when it gets hot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid