Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Manual Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Manual Transmission
T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Sponsored by
McLeod Clutch

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
BlackBirds's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 24
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 315
Default Changing Transmission Fluid

I read in my car's owners manual that the manual transmission fluid doesn't require changing, however I've come across posts on here asking questions about changing their fluid. So my question is are you really never supposed to change the manual transmission fluid? Or should you drain and refill it every X0,000 miles?
__________________

2002 Trans Am WS6
1999 Trans Am WS6
1999 Firebird Y87/W68
BlackBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
FormerVendor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Gen414's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 38
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 2,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBirds View Post
I read in my car's owners manual that the manual transmission fluid doesn't require changing, however I've come across posts on here asking questions about changing their fluid. So my question is are you really never supposed to change the manual transmission fluid? Or should you drain and refill it every X0,000 miles?


Ouch. You sure that was in teh owners manual? I have never read one, so I do not know is why I ask. If that IS the case, that's not entirely true. While the manual tranny fluid is not AS critical as teh fluid in say an automatic, the fluid still does break down, and needs replacing. How often? That is really dependent on YOUR driving conditions as well as how hard you are on a tranny. A good rule of thumb is every other year, unless you are pretty abusive or you put ALOT of miles on it. Almost like what brand oil....you ask 10 different people, you are gonna get 10 different answers.

In short, YES, you should change teh fluid.

Also, it is ATF that goes in your manual tranny
Gen414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
puggerton03's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 309
Default

i just switched mine over to pennzoil syncromesh, and i think i like this the best. ive had regular dextron 3, mobil 1 synthetic and now this. i change mine about every 10,000 miles.
puggerton03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
FormerVendor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Gen414's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 38
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 2,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggerton03 View Post
i just switched mine over to pennzoil syncromesh, and i think i like this the best. ive had regular dextron 3, mobil 1 synthetic and now this. i change mine about every 10,000 miles.

The Synchromesh is a little bit thicker than ATF (I use it in my NV5600 6 speed in my Cummins 1 ton).
Gen414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now
 
Hotroddin's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen414 View Post
The Synchromesh is a little bit thicker than ATF (I use it in my NV5600 6 speed in my Cummins 1 ton).
so is it not good for use in T-56's?
__________________
2000 Firehawk #0173 Black
Hotroddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
FormerVendor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Gen414's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 38
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 2,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotroddin View Post
so is it not good for use in T-56's?
No, not saying that. There are quite a few people that run it, and like it. I can not say that I have done any type of testing to say that the Syncromesh is bad for teh T56. All I can say is, teh T56 is designed to work with thinner based ATF. Thicker oil like teh 'Mesh, can provide an added "cushion" so to speak, in higher mileage trannies. Can give you an example, but of a T5.
A LONG time ago, had a T5 in a Mustang start to make alot of noise, alot of whine. So, I drained teh ATF that it called for, and added 10W30 motor oil. made it ALOT quieter, so, more is better, right? So, drained it, and added gear oil (like 80W90 or something), and all noise gone, AND it shifted great.. Now, i drove that tranny with gear oil in it for @ 10K miles, and never had a lick of problems with it after I added teh gear oil. Would I have eventually? Not sure. Car got totaled
So, I guess what I am saying is, the 'Mesh IS thicker than ATF, but not much, and would THINK that it would be fine to put in for long periods of time.
Gen414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
BlackBirds's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 24
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 315
Default

Thanks for the information. But yeah I am sure that the manual says it doesn't need changed. I thought the same thing when I read it, i was very confused haha. Theres no filter like in an automatic right, just drain and fill
__________________

2002 Trans Am WS6
1999 Trans Am WS6
1999 Firebird Y87/W68
BlackBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now
 
Hotroddin's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen414 View Post
No, not saying that. There are quite a few people that run it, and like it. I can not say that I have done any type of testing to say that the Syncromesh is bad for teh T56. All I can say is, teh T56 is designed to work with thinner based ATF. Thicker oil like teh 'Mesh, can provide an added "cushion" so to speak, in higher mileage trannies. Can give you an example, but of a T5.
A LONG time ago, had a T5 in a Mustang start to make alot of noise, alot of whine. So, I drained teh ATF that it called for, and added 10W30 motor oil. made it ALOT quieter, so, more is better, right? So, drained it, and added gear oil (like 80W90 or something), and all noise gone, AND it shifted great.. Now, i drove that tranny with gear oil in it for @ 10K miles, and never had a lick of problems with it after I added teh gear oil. Would I have eventually? Not sure. Car got totaled
So, I guess what I am saying is, the 'Mesh IS thicker than ATF, but not much, and would THINK that it would be fine to put in for long periods of time.

thanks for the info, my t-56 has 120k on it but it shifts great and doesnt make any noise, but i may use the mesh since my tranny has so many miles on it.
__________________
2000 Firehawk #0173 Black
Hotroddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
FormerVendor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Gen414's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 38
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 2,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBirds View Post
Thanks for the information. But yeah I am sure that the manual says it doesn't need changed. I thought the same thing when I read it, i was very confused haha. Theres no filter like in an automatic right, just drain and fill

You got it. No problem. No, no filter. Yes, just drain, and fill. There is a drain plug on side of tranny, and a fill plug.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotroddin View Post
thanks for the info, my t-56 has 120k on it but it shifts great and doesnt make any noise, but i may use the mesh since my tranny has so many miles on it.

Yeah, no problem. Anytime. Like I said, have seen (and heard) more and more people run it and like it (bout teh 'Mesh) but no long term testing that I know of, but again, would not think too much about it since it is not that much thicker of a viscosity over the ATF. I would think that with the 'mesh, in higher mileage trannies especially, would think it would help smooth out the tranny some. Again, with that T5 I mentioned before, that was the case (with teh thicker oil in it)
Gen414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Proctorville OH
Posts: 40
Default

I remember years ago, when I had my LT1 M6, that Honda brand ATF was the way to go. The trans felt great after changing to that fluid. Is this still the case? I now have a 99 TA M6 and I plan on doing this soon.
1QUIKTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #11
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
BlackBirds's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 24
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 315
Default

Thanks for the info guys
__________________

2002 Trans Am WS6
1999 Trans Am WS6
1999 Firebird Y87/W68
BlackBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #12
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
SMOKNSS's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 885
Default

I may try the "mesh" soon or something different. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic and after my six speed (freshly built) gets hot after I beat on it, it starts making alot of noise and stuff like the fluid thins out when it gets hot.
__________________
2001 Camaro SS
2006 Trailblazer SS

Thanks to Vengeance Racing, Work Turbochargers, and last but not least Coors Brewing Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip@HPE View Post
I believe the phrase is.. now correct me if I am wrong.."don't talk about it, be about it"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reject View Post
no. lol some people like twins, others big fat nasty hung singles
SMOKNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
02, 04, 1999, 2002, 56, change, firebird, fluid, gm, gto, manual, speed, t5, trans, transmission


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details