Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission locked in gear(s) - teardown started have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission locked in gear(s) - teardown started have a few questions

So I have a T-56 out of a GTO that while shifting into 3rd gear I believe it was locked up, clutch in the car would roll / run, clutch out in neutral the car wants to stall wont move, semeed to be able to shift okay into gears other than reverse w/ the clutch in.

Started tearing it apart today and this is what I found, something tells me the bearing reverse rides on isn't supposed to look like this? lol

I got that cleaned up but there is some scoring on the shaft form that bearing being cooked, this is the best pic I could get with my cell phone, Ill try and get a few better pics later, but I guess my questions are 1) will that scoring be of issue when I replace the bearing and put things back together?

And second, should I bother continuing tearing into the transmission and do a full rebuild (~50k miles on the transmission)? I assume the answer is yes since its out and sitting here, I suspect that bearing is the issue, though I guess its hard to say what other damage could have been done in the main housing.

Quick Reply: Transmission locked in gear(s) - teardown started have a few questions