Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is it hydraulics or the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it hydraulics or the transmission?

I am in a whirl over here guys. I've been reading all sorts of stickies within the m6 section I am just not sure what my problem could be. Right now, with my own reviewing I would think I have hydraulic issues and maybe a bad master and slave cylinders.

Recently I have had problems engaging into 5th gear. The trans feels like it pops into gear real smoothly but it doesn't. Once I go to put her in 5th gear at times the car will not engage and (as my foot is on the gas) the car just revs, because she's not engaged so the cars in neutral. It takes a few tries and then she will engage. Overall the car engages into gear. The weird thing is that the trans feels really smooth overall. It grinds when I can't get into 5th gear at times, but I wonder if that's because the clutch is fucked up and not engaging.

Would you guys think I have a sticking clutch? I was considering going with a new GM slave and master cylinder and of course bleeding the system.

So here's what's currently wrong. I replaced the hydraulic fluids along with the trans fluid. Running DOT4 prestone for hydraulics and Dextron III from Valvoline. Lately I noticed now third gear grinds. I'm thinking air has gotten into the system because I haven't bleed it properly. So I'm wondering if that's one of the problems I'm fighting.

What do you guys think? New Master/Slave and bleeding the hydraulics or is the trans an issue. Because like I said, she shifted great before this, the clutch just doesn't seem to engage or disengage.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

I think its the transmission. I've had all kinds of clutch issues and none of them were like this. good luck
Old 07-10-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a bad 5th gear synchro. If it was a clutch problem, it'd happen in every gear.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

i had a similar problem with 3rd and it turned out to be the shift fork bent
Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Bones, i wouldn't go right away to say its your tranny like some here ive had similar problems but mine are at WOT or very high rpms i will have problems going into certain gears i replaced the Master and slave i think my Pressure plate is faulty.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SilV8
Bones, i wouldn't go right away to say its your tranny like some here ive had similar problems but mine are at WOT or very high rpms i will have problems going into certain gears i replaced the Master and slave i think my Pressure plate is faulty.
your issue was with the hydraulics heating up from the high rpms and the engine heat. His problems are not rpm or heat related. I still call 100% tranny related.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it sounds like you have issues within the 5th gear components that ride on the countershaft extension assembly.

That is something you want to address because that countershaft goes into the cluster gear assembly.

Not trying to predict the worse, just trying prevent a very costly repair. Right now it should be something that may be relatively inexpensive and simple.

The 5th/6th gear assembly can be accessed with removal of the tail housing, without going into the main case.

Picture of 5th/6th gear , shiftfork and countershaft extension.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_38.html

Complete T56 rebuild article
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ld/repair.html

T-56 service manual
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...-0610-0199.pdf

With all the above said... If it was my car, I would give it a nice rebuild.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Definitely appreciate the help and suggestions guys. This is ridiculous lol. I bleed the hydraulics with a mityvac and still have problems. It's not the hydraulics, it must be the trans (god dammit). I looked into everything.

What's weird is that I can start out in third gear. But I can't shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. So right now I can't access 3rd or 5th gear.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bones Z28
What's weird is that I can start out in third gear. But I can't shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. So right now I can't access 3rd or 5th gear.
Overhaul time.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Overhaul time.
Yeah that's what's happening right now. I have everything unbolted just about and I'm ready to tackle the trans bolts to unbolt the trans. I was going to go with tick perf they seem like good guys, but FLT struck me a deal and I'm lucky enough that they're in my backyard. So that's whats happening right now.

Does anyone know how the master cylinder line comes out? At least I'm pretty sure that's the line that is in the drivers side of the transmission. Kind of looks like a fuel line fitting or something on how it's connected in there. I don't want to do anything till I know for sure how that guy pops out.