Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Stage 3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monster Stage 3 Review

Monster Stage 3 Review

Long story short, I have a Magnacharged 02 Z06 and was having problems shifting (engaging/disengaging the clutch) after extensive high rpm runs, specifically during a HPDE session. Under normal driving conditions, I could shift w/o any problems.

After consulting my tuner (Slowhawk) and Steve @ SNL, they both came to the conclusion the problem I was having was caused by the clutch slipping and expanding due to the stock LS6 clutch not able to hold the power I am making (500hp/470tq @ wheels). So, I took advantage of the Monster sale and purchased the Stage 3 premium package, light weight flywheel and remote bleeder.

This weekend I spent removing and installing the clutch and today I put the first 100 miles (stop and go) on a 500 mile breakin period and so far the clutch has been good.

The pedal pressure is a little stiffer than the stock LS6 clutch, the chatter is bearable as this should go away after the 500 mile breakin stage. With the stock clutch, you could easily start from a dead stop, due to the chatter, I need to rev the RPMs to 1800-2000 to avoid any chatter to start. If I would have done it again, I would have coughed up another $100 and picked up the Stage 3.5 as the .5 series apparently are chatter proof.

I will post more results as the break in miles add up. Looking forward to getting on the track to put this clutch to the test.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love mine along with my tick MC. Fixing to bolt on a Harris speed works kit and put it to the test. Goodluck with everything
Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

I can take off from a stop with no throttle input, just releasing the clutch (Stage 3 also) with little to no chatter. I notice chatter most during cold weather. I think you will like the clutch after you get some miles on it, and the peddal will lighten up some too.

Just noticed the light weight flywheel. You may have to rev it a little to get it moving with the lighter flywheel.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
I can take off from a stop with no throttle input, just releasing the clutch (Stage 3 also) with little to no chatter. I notice chatter most during cold weather. I think you will like the clutch after you get some miles on it, and the peddal will lighten up some too.

Just noticed the light weight flywheel. You may have to rev it a little to get it moving with the lighter flywheel.

I am at 200 miles now, still have some chatter from a dead stop.

Yeah I think just need to get use to the flywheel also. If I rev it a little, the chatter is minimal.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Can you explain this "chatter" for me??

Installing my Monster tonight..

Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skeeters65
Can you explain this "chatter" for me??

Installing my Monster tonight..

Thanks

I would describe it as a "bucking" sensation when you start from a dead stop. If you drive the car like you do with the stock clutch, you will know what I am talking about.

Once you get going, it goes away.

It takes a very smooth technique to balance between chatter and spinning the wheels from a dead stop.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us posted!

The chatter will go away with time.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Well I broke the 500 mile breakin period and finally put the clutch to some hard driving. Well so far I am impressed, after several high RPM runs, I can disengage/engage the clutch w/o any problems like I had with the stock LS6 clutch. Hopefully I can get to a road course soon to really put this to the test.

As for the chatter, its about 90% gone.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

I love my stage 3 ive had it 2 months now, and race the car 3 times a week. Did the tick master as well, and i love it. The chatter sound doesnt bug me, i have a loud radio.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTAN
Well I broke the 500 mile breakin period and finally put the clutch to some hard driving. Well so far I am impressed, after several high RPM runs, I can disengage/engage the clutch w/o any problems like I had with the stock LS6 clutch. Hopefully I can get to a road course soon to really put this to the test.

As for the chatter, its about 90% gone.
Awesome!

Let us know how it does on the road course!

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
I love my stage 3 ive had it 2 months now, and race the car 3 times a week. Did the tick master as well, and i love it. The chatter sound doesnt bug me, i have a loud radio.
Thanks for the kind words man!

Quick Reply: Monster Stage 3 Review