Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Balls. UPS Damaged T56. Repair or Replace?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default *****. UPS Damaged T56. Repair or Replace?

Yep, it started out looking like a good day.

Seller had these on all sides of the two boxes.

Uh-oh. Someone didn't pay attention, or didn't care.

Another smaller, but potentially relevant hole.

Looking at T56 head-on, pointing to damaged area:

Close-up of the carnage:

Neither hole is directly above this majorly cracked area. The small hole is above and to the side of it. The large hole is diagonal from it. Directly below the larger hole, you can see where something contacted the case and cause a minor nick/gouge. That's all I could see before I opened the front end. The major damage was not visible. Maybe something punctured the box at an angle? Or maybe there were multiple types of abuse on the trip.

At any rate, is this catastrophic, or can it be repaired?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure about repairing, but I can tell you some things about shipping:
-Fragile stickers are useless, no matter what carrier. In fact, some people honestly treat those packages worse.
-Accidents happen, and this includes with couriers.
-Those were packaged very poorly. A box should be able to be dropped from chest height and not disturb the contents.

That said that seems like unreasonable damage for just a chest high drop.

The seller is responsible for getting the product to you in good condition, whether or not insurance is purchased. If insurance is purchased, he will need to work with UPS to attempt to get his refund - AFTER he pays you. He will probably get denied due to crappy packaging.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why we ship our T56 units on a small pallet even if it cost a little more to do so. Tremec ships their units in a box but its very well constructed and have special made braces inside the box to help keep the unit secured. If the package was properly insured, have the seller file a claim on it. If not, try to work something out with the shipper and be ready to take a loss on it.

Also packing peanuts are not considered enough protection for such a heavy item so do not be surprised if UPS denies the claim.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Well, the seller is one of us, so he'll see what you are saying. He called UPS already, I believe.

Some guys on another board believe it can be repaired. I did purchase this particular unit because the seller said it was very low miles and known good, so if it can be saved, that would be nice.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bull
At any rate, is this catastrophic, or can it be repaired?
Unless you're absolutely desperate for THIS transmission, I'd send it back, and demand a refund that includes return shipping which will include having it properly crated so it doesn't sustain further damage in transit. You didn't buy a broken one to begin with, so why accept it now? It's the sellers problem to get it fixed, and it's the sellers problem to try to collect on any insurance. Also, if you send it back make sure you don't do the final pack until you are in the shipping company's presence, and you have photos of how it looked before final pack, and the shipping agent signs for the conditions existing at that time. Insure for FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE!!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Launching!

I appreciate all of the advice, believe me. I'm just not ready to start demanding anything yet. I spoke with the seller on the phone today and he seems a good guy, believes UPS will not be hard to deal with. Called his local UPS store person, who supposedly will have UPS call me.

The seller has a ton of positive feedback on here (the most I've seen), which is why I felt comfortable spending my money in the first place. My inclination is always to try to solve problems in a friendly way first.

As for this particular transmission, it was claimed to be one with quite low miles and a recent service, key selling points. Seller says he has another T56, but I'm sure it is not with the same mileage.

It is good to know that much of this is not really my personal responsibility to solve, though.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Have UPS call you? Why? The only thing UPS policy allows them to deal with you about is perhaps arrange a time when they can come inspect/pick up the packages from you. The seller has to deal with them for the rest.

Also, did you pay with a credit card? Do a chargeback if the guy's not willing to refund you. You'll have to ship the item back on your own dime and prove that you did so if you do this, unfortunately. Hopefully the guy will continue to be helpful. I don't think UPS will help him when they see the packaging it came in.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

It looks like an LT1 unit from the pics. If so, you can swap the mid plate on it and it should be in the same condition is was in before it was damaged.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Launching!

I looked at the UPS website right after I found the damage and thought I was going to have a heart attack. The site says that the receiver and the sender can both file a claim. They do say the findings of their investigation will only be sent to the sender, and I assume any awarded monies, too.

I did pay with a credit card through Paypal, yes, so I know those protections are there. But again, I am hoping not to have to get to that level. Seller has 100+ positive transactions on here, which you probably don't earn if you don't treat people fairly.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thesource
It looks like an LT1 unit from the pics. If so, you can swap the mid plate on it and it should be in the same condition is was in before it was damaged.
Yes sir, it is an LT1 unit. What is a mid plate?

How ironic that you are helping me when I chose to buy this transmission instead of yours for the supposed savings. Thank you for being willing to help despite my choice.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

The midplate is the front part of the unit broken. Its pretty simple to replace with basic hand tools and about 30 minutes of your time.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Launching!

So, this part to the left of the red line on the case unbolts?

Where can they be purchased and how much do they cost?

I'd like to remove the unit from the box and finish unwrapping it to see if there is any additional damage. If there are multiple other issues, then fixing it becomes not worth while. But, I'm treating the box like a crime scene and literally have not touched it since seeing the damage. I don't want UPS saying I went to far with the unpacking before noting the damage.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Launching!

What the heck. Some guys on another site I am seeking help on say that to replace that plate, I need to be able to measure bearing pre-load and disassemble the trans 100%
Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front plate

It is the best way to totally disassemble the trans. However you don't have to disassemble the trans 100%. Though it can be a lil tricky !

With that end up in the air, you should be able to take it off and install another. Then you can recheck preload if required.

If you take that end off, Push Down on the input shaft while removing the plate. Also if the bearing race's fall out of that plate, (For the input shaft and the counter shaft) be sure and check how many (and what thickness) the shims are under the each Shaft Bearing Race! And put the same shims back in. That way the preload should be the same it was.

In just taking that end off, it might be a lil difficult lining up your shift rods into that plate. But with a lil wiggling, it could be done....

Like the other member said, if you can get out of it, might be better ?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Banned

Yes, the plate can be removed. PM me if you want details on how to swap it over.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

You really don't wanna go messing with an item damaged in shipment until after the claim is resolved between you and the seller, and absolutely not until the claim between the seller and the shipping company is resolved.. Doing so will be very likely to get the claim denied.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Banned

Yes you need to wait for the claim to be resolved before doing anything. Also you must save all the packing as well.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Launching!

I have literally not touched the box since I opened that one end and saw the damage...even though it is in my way and packing peanuts are strewn about on the floor next to it, where they fell out. I'd put yellow crime scene tape around it, but am not sure how the UPS guys who come to get it would react. I sure would like to move it out of the garage before they come, though, since I don't let just anybody walk into my garage. I guess I wont, though.

Seller has offered, once claim is processed, to ship it back to him, his tranny guy inspects it and replaces the damaged midplate, then it comes back to me.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Teching In

I just got the same damn news from Tick... I only have good words about the guys from Tick Performance!!! But my laziness in packing the thing and UPSs laziness to actually carry the thing with out dropping it has got me pretty pissed off!!! Tick actually carries a Front plate ant its like $288 Dollars I have no Idea about the installation and I can only hope that the trans makes it back to me next week un harmed

Good Luck with the Claim!!! UPS is a bunch of ******
Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tweak213
I just got the same damn news from Tick... I only have good words about the guys from Tick Performance!!! But my laziness in packing the thing and UPSs laziness to actually carry the thing with out dropping it has got me pretty pissed off!!! Tick actually carries a Front plate ant its like $288 Dollars I have no Idea about the installation and I can only hope that the trans makes it back to me next week un harmed

Good Luck with the Claim!!! UPS is a bunch of ******

Yours broke in the same spot, or somewhere else? Sucks ***** man!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Balls. UPS Damaged T56. Repair or Replace?