Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Third has trouble engaging but doesnt pop out once in

Old 07-31-2009, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third has trouble engaging but doesnt pop out once in

Okay I finally got my tranny done and in and havent had any problems with it except for when I go to shift into third when I first put it into gear it seems like it wont fully engage and pops out. I usually have to play around a bit to get it to engage. Usually if i let the clutch pedal almost all the way out before hitting the gas it wont do it. Once it does get into gear though it never pops out. Any thoughts?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigjakester
Okay I finally got my tranny done and in and havent had any problems with it except for when I go to shift into third when I first put it into gear it seems like it wont fully engage and pops out. I usually have to play around a bit to get it to engage. Usually if i let the clutch pedal almost all the way out before hitting the gas it wont do it. Once it does get into gear though it never pops out. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a key issue. Could be a fork or shift rod problem, but would lean towards key.

Now, you say you "finally got my tranny done...." did you have it rebuilt? If so, locally? If so, I would take it to them before you start adding miles to it which can give them reason to argue, and blame YOU for it....
Old 08-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Launching!

I would check the adjustment screws on your shifter and see where they are at and if thats what it is hitting. Had this same problem with 4th gear, it was an adjustment screw on my shifter. The screw that keeps your from over throwing the gear.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Ya I was gonna back the screw all the way off and see if it did it then. I was also gonna try throwing on the stock shifter if I was still having problems. Oh an I rebuilt this tranny.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

I did notice tonight though, that when the tranny heats up it doesnt have this problem anymore. Could this possibly be a hydraulic issue???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Third has trouble engaging but doesnt pop out once in