Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Any of you LS7 clutch guys using a non oem ls2 flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any of you LS7 clutch guys using a non oem ls2 flywheel?

I got my LS7 kit installed a month ago and absolutely hate how much slower the car rev's with the heavy ls2 flywheel in there. Anyone using an aftermarket lightweight flywheel like a fidanza or anything? How much of a difference was it from the ls2 flywheel or even the stock flywheel?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Launching!

nobody at all?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

I haven't done this yet, however I'm glad I read this first. I'm going to be putting in a new clutch and flywheel package and this is exactly what I was told to get -- LS7 clutch package with an LS2 flywheel. What exactly don't you like about it? Any info would be great, thanks.

- Matt
Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that this really helps you, but i believe they are available in a kit with an aluminum flywheel.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
I got my LS7 kit installed a month ago and absolutely hate how much slower the car rev's with the heavy ls2 flywheel in there. Anyone using an aftermarket lightweight flywheel like a fidanza or anything? How much of a difference was it from the ls2 flywheel or even the stock flywheel?

I went from a lightweight flywheel setup to the LS7/LS2 setup and hardly noticed a difference. In fact it's much easier to drive in traffic.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently installed a fidanza with my ls7 clutch kit. If I remember correctly the fidanza saves you about 5lbs vs the stock LS1 setup, but 13lbs with the LS7 flywheel.

Big difference over the stock LS7 flywheel.

Personally It's working out great for me. It engages just like a stock clutch should, smooth and easily, however, it has a substantial feel over stock. I suspect it's the stronger clamping power of the pressure plate.

Since the PP is so heavy the fidanza helps but it still doesnt rev alot faster than the stock setup, but there is a slight edge.

I haven't slipped it hard nor power shifted it...dont plan on it either. From what I have seen no stock replacements usually like abuse ....I use my setup for autocross so the shifts are less aggressive, often times under 5500 rpm.

I havent had any trouble with engagement nor chatter, I hope this setup lasts a while because I hate stabbing the tranny.

ANyways to sum it up, its smooth like butter she now pulls very smoothly!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GothMetalForever
I haven't done this yet, however I'm glad I read this first. I'm going to be putting in a new clutch and flywheel package and this is exactly what I was told to get -- LS7 clutch package with an LS2 flywheel. What exactly don't you like about it? Any info would be great, thanks.

- Matt
It just seems to rev a little slower with the bigger flywheel, just enough for me to notice a difference, which isn't good since I'm kind of **** about these things. Most people don't notice or mind, and it is easier in traffic, but I had a stage 1 spec clutch before so I could easily tolerate it being a little worse in traffic.

I definately think I am going to get a fidanza wheel if I can find an ls2 one, If it rev's slightly quicker than stock, that should be perfect for what I want
Old 08-08-2009, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats the setup i am running.... i didnt notice any real difference. i think it is in your head tbh dude, just like when i went from stock17s on firehawk tires to zo6 rims with dr's i thought the car was slower, but in actuallity when i got to the track it was faster, it was just in my head cause it was different. i love this combo, when it comes time to replace it again i will replace it with the exact same thing unless i hit the lottery and the car ends up needing a heavy duty clutch!
Old 08-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Staging Lane

I have an ls7 clutch and ls7 flywheel. I didn't notice any difference between stock ls1 set, except seems that when I do my burnout rpm hangs a little (clutch disengaged) after I have let off the accelerator. Is this an effect of a heavy flywheel?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crispytoast
I have an ls7 clutch and ls7 flywheel. I didn't notice any difference between stock ls1 set, except seems that when I do my burnout rpm hangs a little (clutch disengaged) after I have let off the accelerator. Is this an effect of a heavy flywheel?
I am having this same setup installed as we speak, and would like to get your opinion of it's drivability (overall) and also if you could go into a little more detail about this rpm hanging. Also how much power are you making? Thanks a lot bro!

Quick Reply: Any of you LS7 clutch guys using a non oem ls2 flywheel?