Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bleeding the clutch????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bleeding the clutch????????

I installed a new clutch in my 02 ws-6 and the system is dry, there is no fluid left in the system. I'm not sure how to properly bleed this system. I know i will have lots of air in the lines. I noticed that long piece on my clutch slave cylinder that kind of goes flush with my bellhousing. Is this the place where i will loosen off to bleed the system??? Just seems like a bad idea because brake fluid will go over that area and very easily cantamanate my new clutch disk. I know brake fluid will destroy my clutch disk. Nay help or ideas would help, pics are great!! Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest using the bleeder valve that is located just of the slave cylinder. You will need to fill the reservoir with fluid and apply vacuum to pull the fluid down to the slave. You must have someone up top adding fluid to the master so you don't run out, thus inducing more air. It will be a pain but it is more consistent and quicker than gravity bleeding the system. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like he said.....but you want a partner for assistance.

The slave bleeder is 7\16" if I remember correctly. It's a PITA to get it so take your time and be patient.

Also, I would recommend gravity bleeding for at least 20 mins to help make it go smoother.

Last tip when pumping it and it's down to the floor when you open and close the bleeder. The pedal will not come up on it's own, give it a min or so and then slowly bring it up. If you do it too fast it might trap air in the system, I did mine this way and it only took 3 tries and it's good to go...

I never had a good luck with the mity vac.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search, I made a nice little write up recently.

Like said, a gravity bleed and a partner are the 2 most important things. You should be able to get 3 bleeds before going back up to add more fluid.