Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd gear grind after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear grind after rebuild

I am looking at buying an 02 trans am and the 6 speed supposedly has been rebuilt and beefed up. The seller says that it has a slight grind going into 2nd and has been like that ever since the rebuild. Any ideas what is going on. The rebuilder says he will fix it, but the seller doesn't want to take it out, and I live 4 hours from the builder. So I figured I would see if I could fix it myself.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't break themselves. The unit was either not rebuilt correctly or it was damaged shortly after. A common way to eat up a 2nd synchro is to do a burnout and shift 1-2 in the middle of it. It can happen is just a few whacks.If the trans was rebuilt with a new synchro but the damaged 2nd speed driven gear left in there, that could also cause the problem to linger.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if you are pating good money for this tranny, and seller does nto want to remove to have fix...move on. There are too many trannies out there to deal with a seller like that if you ask me.

That being said, if it grinds going into 2nd, but goes in, sounds like a synchro problem as Calhoon said.