Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster clutch Stage 1.5 installed. do I have Chatter or a bad install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Monster clutch Stage 1.5 installed. do I have Chatter or a bad install?

Got my car back from http://www.eastcoasttransmission.com/

For one, I will never go there or recommend them for any work ever again. Not only does my car look like it's been smeared with grease and oil, but I have body damage when they poorly put my car up in the lift... and I believe all the ashes that flew out were from the mechanics smoking in my vehicle Not to mention the drag out argument I had about the fees they tried charging me.

That aside. when I take off in 1st gear my car shudders a bit. Is this the Chatter I've been reading about, or did they **** up my install? Is it normal to smell any trans fluid after the the clutch swap?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Sorry to hear about the poor service provided by your installer.

A little chatter is normal during the break in period and should dissappear as the clutch breaks in. The only reason I can think that you may smell transmission fluid is if they spilled some and it's burning off of your exhaust.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Teching In

How many miles for a proper breakin? I'm driving like a grandma right now =)
Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Launching!

did you read the instructions that came with the clutch? It is 500 of stop and go driving, not highway driving. The clutch has to be tempered. I am half way thru my break in of a 3.5 monster and I still have the chatter.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Well, it could be a number of things...from normal break in, to a contaminated flywheel (they got oil/tranny fluid on it and did not clean it, and it contaminated teh disc).

Is the tranny shifting OK? Any problems going into gear or anything? Give it 500 miles (but I WOULD DEFINITELY tell your shop RIGHT NOW about the problem, so as to "just in case" it IS something they did they are aware of it NOW, so they can't say, "well, you drove it for 500 miles, YOU screwed it up", so beware!!!!)
Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, it could be a number of things...from normal break in, to a contaminated flywheel (they got oil/tranny fluid on it and did not clean it, and it contaminated teh disc).

Is the tranny shifting OK? Any problems going into gear or anything? Give it 500 miles (but I WOULD DEFINITELY tell your shop RIGHT NOW about the problem, so as to "just in case" it IS something they did they are aware of it NOW, so they can't say, "well, you drove it for 500 miles, YOU screwed it up", so beware!!!!)
I have 100 miles on it so far. Is "chatter" when the car shudders real hard engaging into 1st and revers? It isn't very pleasant... now my check engine light has come on and when I went into reverse this morning and backed into a parking spot I smelled something burning... I filed a complaint with the BBB east coast transmission...
Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I just had my Monster 3.5 installed last week (and love it so far) and mine is Chatter free, thats the way i understand it should be with the .5 models. Correct me if im wrong but the .5's have the "NO Chatter Guarantee".
Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes the shaking of the car when letting the clutch out is "chatter" the chatter can be eliminated with break in and sometimes a change in driving habit. I got a monster stage 3 in mine which is a puck style and is supposed to chatter, well it hardly chatters at all so far and im pretty impressed with that.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Teching In

I think I'm noticing the shuddering die down some... sorry I thought chatter was a sound not a feeling! Saw a new blue SS camaro this morning on my commute to work... I got the thumbs up as I drove past... made me feel better.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Teching In

thanks for the replies, I'm at 200+ miles now. I should be over 500 at the end of the weekend, I'll keep yall posted.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Works as a part time mechanic at eastcoast transmission.

Last edited by bearcatt; 08-07-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Works as a part time mechanic at eastcoast transmission.

good maybe you can tell me who lifted my car improperly and crushed the bottom portion of the driver side front fender

I mean after getting charged 8 hours of labor I'm sure someone was being cautious...
Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Midnighyt
good maybe you can tell me who lifted my car improperly and crushed the bottom portion of the driver side front fender

I mean after getting charged 8 hours of labor I'm sure someone was being cautious...

That really sucks. I think it happend when they lifted the car up.
They put it on under the body instead of the frame.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Midnighyt
I have 100 miles on it so far. Is "chatter" when the car shudders real hard engaging into 1st and revers? It isn't very pleasant... now my check engine light has come on and when I went into reverse this morning and backed into a parking spot I smelled something burning... I filed a complaint with the BBB east coast transmission...

yes, that is correct, and will go away with proper break in/installation.
Check engine light, who knows what your installer lef t unplugged? Run it down to your local Advance Auto Parts (or teh like) and have them run a code scan for free for you.
Smelled something burning, could be tranny fluid or hydraulic (brake) fluid leaking onto your exhaust. Installation error?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...

I can tell you that the Level 1.5 should NEVER chatter as it's primarily a carbon/organic material. I'd be willing to bet there is contamination on the disc.

Sorry to poor gasoline on the fire, call us when you can and we'll go over some things.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i just installed a monster 1.5 in a gto with zero chatter and padel feel was better then stock.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMTECH4
i just installed a monster 1.5 in a gto with zero chatter and padel feel was better then stock.
Thanks!

The 1.5 should NOT chatter, period.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Teching In

yeah... something isn't right... and after this fucked up install, and putting a complete set of new brakes on her I'm tapped out for car repair cash...

now I just have to see if I can plug in my O2 sensors they fucked up...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Wow, sound like they did a number on your car.
Do you have any visible leaks?
And it does sound like you're getting WAY too much chatter. I've got 175 miles on my Monster Stage 3.5 already, and I've only gotten a little bit of chatter a couple times when I first drove it.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Stage three here, going on 1k miles now, It chattered for a while and then right at 433miles on the dot it stopped and transformed haha. works like a charm hope yours turns out ok.

Quick Reply: Monster clutch Stage 1.5 installed. do I have Chatter or a bad install?