Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CTSV Shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTSV Shifter question

Is it possible to just convert my CTSV T-56 to the forward shifter location with one of those shifter relocation kits? Like this http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...17/7086456.htm If not I guess I need to convert it to the F-body style. I am swapping a LS2 6 speed into my 70 SS Chevelle so I have a little flexibility. I was already told I can't just remove the bolt on flange because it is not designed for a slip yoke. I do not think running the carrier bearing setup would be a good idea either. Am I correct to think that I will need a F-body output shaft, tail shaft, shift rail, and shifter? If not would someone please point me in the right direction and to a good spot to buy T56 parts. I have rebuilt several Muncie transmissions so I am not too worried about diving into a T56. Thanks

Dave
Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's possible.. The stock CTS-v shifter is offset towards the rear of the opening a bit, I'm not positive that kit will offset back enough?

CTSV Shifter question-dcp_-098.jpg

My converted CTSv build pics are here:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...GTO-fbody_web/

New GTO mainshaft, Fbody tailhousing, fbody shift rail, offset lever, modified bellhousing, misc fbody parts. (detent lever, VSS reluctor, etc.)
Old 08-04-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

The thing is it almost looks like a shifter will go right in there. I don't need the rear mount position like a F body or GTO guy. Of course I need to come up with a shifter to try it out. I am expecting my engine/trans towards the end of the week and when it gets here I was going to look and see if a bushing could be installed in the tail housing so a conventional slip yoke can be used. If I have to change the extension housing then I might as well buy one for a mechanical speedometer drive.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Will this work to drive the speedometer?

A speedometer drive from a cop car...I really don't need the speed sensor output do I? I was thinking I could remove and plug the skip shift solenoid. VSS235 $68 at NAPA
Old 08-04-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

I guess what you can't see in the pic is that the gear presses on http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-Co...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
The thing is it almost looks like a shifter will go right in there. I don't need the rear mount position like a F body or GTO guy. Of course I need to come up with a shifter to try it out. I am expecting my engine/trans towards the end of the week and when it gets here I was going to look and see if a bushing could be installed in the tail housing so a conventional slip yoke can be used. If I have to change the extension housing then I might as well buy one for a mechanical speedometer drive.
I test fit a T5/viper shifter, and it didn't quite line up with all 4 bolt holes. You may be able to drill out one to fit. The Rectanular Fbody shifter will need more mods to shorten and redrill, and then may be offset incorrectly.

CTSV Shifter question-dcp_-100.jpg

CTSV Shifter question-dcp_-101.jpg

CTSV Shifter question-dcp_-102.jpg

I doubt you'll have much luck getting a slip yoke to adapt to the output splines, but anything is possible with time and money.

CTSV Shifter question-dcp_-035.jpg

There's a guy on thirdgen.org that has being doing the Fbody tailhousing mod for a mechanical speedo. It involves drilling a mounting hole through the housing and using a 3rdgen camaro driven gear setup. The other option (slightly more $) is to get a dakota box to spin a speedo cable from the VSS signal of the T56.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are going to tie up alot of $$ in conversion and end up with cobbled stuff. I would suggest selling the unit you have and getting one closer to what you need. There is a T56 aftermarket model that may get you closer to the forward cover check out the Tremec site. The pattern of that front cover is NOT the same as the Viper / S10 pattern.There are kits to place a shifter in this spot but the ones I have seen really lack quality parts.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

I would not say cobbled since I am installing it into a car that never came with that trans. I am not trying to convert it to use in a F body or GTO. I think that I am going the route that Mike went. I need to find a new GTO mainshaft, Fbody tailhousing, fbody shift rail, offset lever, modified bellhousing, misc parts. I would say it would be easy to use the Viper shifter in the front position.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

If you're going to convert the tail housing to a fbody unit, you should also get the full shifter relocation kit also.. The CTS-v offset lever is just supported in the rear by a thinner, short rail with a paddle for the reverse lockup. So you'll still need the split offset-lever in the kit. (unless you can buy it separate.)
Old 08-05-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

If I use the forward shifter location and the F-body tail housing then I wouldn't need the split offset lever? I can't wait to start getting my hands on some parts. I guess my next question will be where to source them. Where did you get the GTO mainshaft? The f-body tail ought to be easy enough. It would be nice to buy a couple of exploded transmissions.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I tried to point out, the conversion is not simple. The CTS-V has completely different synchros( shorter thow AND tri-cone) , Just throwing them on an Fcar mainshaft is not all it takes. The rail is split but the rear rail is a smaller diameter. You would have to fabricate that rear rail . If you choose to go with the aftermarket kits Ive seen, you cut the std Fcar rail and use a kit offset lever. That lever does not work in the CTS-V. That shifter in the picture is NOT a Viper shifter. It is an SRT-10 Truck shifter. It can be modified to work but you may not care for the throw. I still suggest getting a box closer to what you want.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks a bunch I appreciate the input. I was thinking that the CTS trans has better rations, synchros, and overall design. At least one person has successfully done it so there is hope. I am used to working on the old Muncies where basically everything interchanged and there weren't so many variations. I want to try my hand, maybe I will decide it's too much to tackle but we'll see.

Quick Reply: CTSV Shifter question