Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd gear is gone.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2nd gear is gone.

Well, I was heading home for lunch, from work this afternoon, and ran into some problems. When I pulled onto the highway, I shifted into 2nd, the shifter started to shake a little, like it had been doing lately (I just figured the gear stop needed readjusted, or tranny mount problem), and I hear a boom, then the car started free-revving. I put it into 3rd, and it kept going. I was only about a half mile from my house, so I just went ahead and took it home. But, I've got absolutely nothing in 2nd gear. So, looks like the Camaro is down for a while. But, it's alright, because I'm buying an LS1 T/A this week. So, since the Camaro will just be sitting, I figured I'd go ahead and pull the tranny, and get it taken apart. I was just wondering how difficult it would be for me and maybe another buddy or two, to rebuild the tranny and put a new 2nd gear in it? I saw that there's manuals on eBay for how to do it. But, I wasn't sure if it was just one of those things that could be pretty easily done, while reading along and doing it at the same time. I'll have quite a bit of time to do it, so I can take my time and not have to hurry, since I'll have the T/A to drive now.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like you did what I did to mine..

When you get a new 2nd Gear, get the one that is there on the left with the thick teeth.

It's not hard at all to re-build one of them, I'm in the middle of doing mine. Where that 2nd Gear is located is the deepest point in the Tranny, you will have to take everything off of the Mainshaft just about.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_merv
Sounds like you did what I did to mine..

When you get a new 2nd Gear, get the one that is there on the left with the thick teeth.

It's not hard at all to re-build one of them, I'm in the middle of doing mine. Where that 2nd Gear is located is the deepest point in the Tranny, you will have to take everything off of the Mainshaft just about.
Are there any special tools needed? Or is it something somewhat simple, where you just take the stuff out, replace what you need, then put everything else back in, with regular tools and all?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Regular 2-claw Gear Puller from Sears..just extend it, and inner and outer Snap Ring Plyers.