Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange intermitent clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange intermitent clutch problem

Sometimes when my car sits for a while the clutch pedal has a lot of free play at the top of the travel. The clutch catches very low close to the floor. After driving the car and getting some heat in it the engagement point comes back up to the normal level (a little lower than halfway). I also noticed that when it is acting up if I pump the pedal it returns to normal. The master cylinder is a McLeod the clutch is a RAM VDS and the slave is a stock unit. I am thinking that the master is letting fluid by the O-rings when it is cold and once everything warms up it seals again. Anybody else have any other ideas?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

Well, it sounds like you have air in teh system actually. While you could have a defective unit, if this setup is new or newer, I would say you have air in your system
Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Perscription: Bleed with a might-vac. Repeat as needed to remove all air from the system. If the symptoms persist consult forum sponsors for new slave and master.

BTW, its easier to replace the master than the slave and if the one on the car is old it wouldn't hurt to replace it anyway. Let me know if you have any further questions!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, it sounds like you have air in teh system actually. While you could have a defective unit, if this setup is new or newer, I would say you have air in your system
This setup is actually pretty old as far as hydraulics go. I am leaning towards air in the system from the master.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem. Did you ever fix it?