Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tremec tko + LSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tremec tko + LSX

Has anyone ever done this combo in there car. I have a tremec tko600 (with a t-5 chevy bellhousing attached) I used last season and It only has about a 1000 miles on it. I want to mate it a LS1 because it is stronger then a T56 and payed for. I already know that the bellhousing bolt pattern is differerent then a gen 1 bellhousing. Any pointers would be very helpful. Thanks
Old 08-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Jimmy,

I'm not sure exactly what bellhousing you have. It makes a difference. If you have the stock bellhousing from a thirdgen camaro, rumor has it that the 168 tooth LS1 flywheel will not fit it. If you have an aftermarket steel bell or one of the early Big Block Chevy bellhousings with the munci trans pattern, youre in better shape. McLeod does have a way to use a 153 tooth flywheel but it requires a couple of mods to the block and a custom starter. You'd have $800-900 in the starter and flywheel if you go this route and you may have to give up your dipstick. The throw out bearing engagement may also be trickey as the ls1 crank flange is .400 closer to the block than the standard small block and the McLeod flywheel does not compensate for this.

Incidentally, the standard small block chevy bellhousing will bolt to the LS block. The dowell pins are correct and 5 of the 6 small block bolt holes line up which most experts consider sufficient.

Do a search for the LS1 engine kit installation guide or buy it from GM. PN88959384. This info is from it:
Use the Early BBC 4speed bell that will take a 168 tooth flywheel. With this, use the PN 12557583 pilot bearing and PN 12561680 flywheel(makes up for the afformentioned difference in crank flange).

Let us know how it goes
Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

yes i have a t-5 bellhousing. excellent info btw, id be better of with a mcloed bellhousing. I will definelty keep you guys informed for people that may do this in the future.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

McLeod is a great company with excellent customer service and a very good line of conversion parts but I think if I were in the market for a bellhousing I'd make sure I compared my options. Make sure you also look at quicktime before you make your choice. Also, new aluminum bells to do what you want are $200 on ebay... I think Keisler also sells them (picture of the kit attached) for $250. I'd bet you can source a used one at a swap meet cheaply. Make sure you get the consider index hole size for the large center hole in the bell. The front bearing retainer centers the transmission on the bellhousing with this hole... otherwise with too small a hole you'd turn down the bearing retainer on a lathe, too big a hole and you buy a spacer.

I just want to make sure... your trans has the GM/Munci style front bolt pattern that is wider than it is tall correct? Its not the Ford pattern that is more or less square right?

Is this going in the Camaro from the picture in your sig? If its going into a thirdgen, make sure you go over to thirdgen.org and make sure there arent any interferance issues with using a Big block style bell for the 168 tooth flywheel. The reason I mention this is because the Fbody Bellhousing has the bolt holes for the trans rotated something like 17 degrees. Installing the TKO straight up in the fbody might cause interferance issues. I have an '88 Trans Am with a SBC and LT1 Style T56 mounted on an earlier McLeod bellhousing (Pre-Lt1 specific Bell). So my tranny is installed straight up and should be larger than yours so I dont think you will have a problem but you should make sure first.

Originally Posted by jimmy92rs
yes i have a t-5 bellhousing. excellent info btw, id be better of with a mcloed bellhousing. I will definelty keep you guys informed for people that may do this in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Tremec tko + LSX-keisler-bell-kit.jpg  
Old 08-22-2009, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

what i have is a 3rd gen t-5 bellhousing with a adapter plate to mount the tko to the gm bellhousing. if i didnt use the adapter plate the tremec would sit at an angle like the stock t-5 did and i wouldnt be able to access the shifter through the trans tunnel. i bought this set up from Fortespartsconnection.com in massuchesetts. theyre an authorized tremec dealer. i ran this set up last year bolted up the a gen 1 sbc. I would go to a t56, but i dont want to sell my 2500 transmissiom for a used one if u get my drift. So a muncie bellhousing will fit the 168 tooth flywheel?

Quick Reply: Tremec tko + LSX