Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Awesome Experience with SPEC!!! (Must Read)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awesome Experience with SPEC!!! (Must Read)

I had bought a new SPEC stage 3 and Alum. FW for an LS1 trans am. Always had very good experiences using spec products in the past, worked great. We put the stage 3 in the car and it just wouldn’t shift (shifted great with the spec that was in it previously). Put in all new factory hydraulics with the stage 3. Tried different masters and still would not shift. After talking with spec they had gone through all of the standard troubleshooting and issued an RMA, sent the clutch back to them and everything checked out with the clutch. I spoke with spec before they sent the clutch back to me (let them know I was rebuilding the trans., only had 40,000 miles on it before rebuild, and the clutch would be going in front of new transmission) and they did a very stand up thing. Recognizing the trouble we were having with shifting, SPEC offered to make the car work, no strings attached!!! SPEC said bring them the car and they would make it work. Trailered the car to them in Alabama. When we got there they were kind enough to treat us to breakfast and lunch as well. For the clutch, they explained that the clutch was within all specifications and should operate well, but to make sure there would be no possible clutch problem that wouldn’t let the car shift spec installed a NEW stage 3 clutch assembly and new friction plate on the FW, in fact the clutch was one of their new versions for ls1 cars. Well, they put the car together and made it work!!!!!!!!! Drove it from spec back home and the car shifted great.

I have worked in the hospitality industry in the past and I can say SPEC’s level of customer service far exceeded my expectations. Very knowledgeable people and even have professional racers on staff!!! They even gave us a tour of their facility. I was very impressed by the level of detail that goes into producing a SPEC clutch, from development and testing to production. In my experience, spec has a very quality operation and very knowledgeable people on staff.

I have 100% confidence in spec products and will strongly recommend spec to friends and others (from past experience, their customer service, and observing first-hand how spec produces clutches). The customer service was awesome!!!

Thanks to all the great people at SPEC!!! and a special thanks to Jeremy at spec, you and your team are awesome!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Yeah, Jeremy is a real stand up guy, and great to deal with. That is why when some come on here, and say this or that (negative comments) about them, and what I know of Jeremy (Spec01), I am the first to defend him (and I am a "competitor") as I KNOW he handles the problem.
Again, glad you had a good experience with them, and thanks for sharing. I am sure Spec01 will be chiming in here soon as well.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM

Good to hear. What did they determine to be the problem in the end?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Banned

I've been a dealer for SPEC for several years now and they have an excellent product. Most of the time if there is an issue, its installation related, faulty hydraulics or failure to break the clutch in properly.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the kind words and appreciation of our efforts to help. We installed a new Super-Single Stage 3 as well as a Tick adjustable Master that the customer provided. In the end it honestly took a great deal of bleeding to get everything functioning as it should (Mighty-Vac for the win)...but that is to be expected. We're just happy that we could be of assistance!

Glen, I hope you have a good weekend and that you complete your break-in soon so you can get that thing to the track for some fun. Keep me posted, and as always, let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

This winter i will be replacing my 30000 mile Spec 3, with a new Spec 3!

(although, i might go Spec 3+, choices, choices!!!)
Old 08-21-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear about a good experience once in a while! Let us know how that thing powershifts when it's broken in.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

i have a stage 3 + and i love it
Old 08-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Good to hear about a good experience once in a while!
Haha, yeah these sites tend to get like the service department of a car dealership...no one comes in because everything is going good!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Teching In

bump.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Just an update. Clutch is broken in........shifts awesome at WOT and while just cruising!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

Great! I am glad that you have completed break-in and that you are ready to roll. Now, take it to the track and keep us posted. Be safe and have a great weekend!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope they changed things since I dealt with them. I had a SPEC stage 3 carbon clutch with my old TPIS H/C (about 380rwhp)and the clutch pressure plate broke and cause me a huge tow bill and it only had 600miles on it all street break-in! After that I went with a RAM VDS and never looked back!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

99, I appreciate your issues and though I don't recognize your situation if you find that you need anything in the future just let me know. As a side note, plates don't generally break...and if yours did there would have to be a reason for this to occur. If you have an RMA# relative to this issue please provide it and I will be happy to look over the records for you in hopes that I can shed a little light on the issue. Otherwise, have a great weekend!

Last edited by SPEC-01; 09-04-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Awesome Experience with SPEC!!! (Must Read)