Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch pedal goes soft during light driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch pedal goes soft during light driving

It seems like everytime I get one issue sorted out another one comes up.

Here is my problem. When I am driving lightly in town, from redlight to redlight, my clutch pedal begins to stick and I have to pick it up with my foot and pump it to get pressure again.

This is not the same as the sticky writeup, because it does great on the highway. I can rip through gears and it holds great pressure.

Here is my setup

Mcleod adj master
3an braided lines
02 slave

I am not losing any fluid, and I have tried rebleeding the system and it does fine. I can only get the pedal to go flat when I am in traffic. I can sit in my driveway and pump my pedal, and hold it for minutes and I never lose any pedal feeling.

This made me think that possibly my headers were making the fluids boil and getting air in the line, and that possibly highway driving was cooling it off. If it was doing that though, how come it never did it before? I am also not losing any fluid.

I just drove the car for 30 minutes and no loss of fluid. If the seals were worn I assume it would have this issue when the car is off (which it doesn't).

The boiling point for dot 3 appears to be just over 400 degrees fahrenheit, so its a little hard to believe that it was boiling, and it has never done this before.

I swapped my ign and fan #2 transistor and this is around when it started happening. I don't know if this is just coincidence because my car does not overheat.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

Well, if pedal goes to floor, and does not come back up, can only be a few things:

Bad slave

Bad MC

Old/tired/burnt fluid

And that's about it. How old is your setup...MC? Fluid? Slave?

Oh, in traffic only...well, is stop and go, and pushing clutch pedal in and out in and out in and out, etc.. over and over again??
Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

same here and mine is stock with 40k on the car . only light driving.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What kind/brand of fluid are you using??
Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

same type of prob in mine, if you don't want to remove tranny yet try the master cly it would be the least expensive , and it wasn't that bad to replace just need to be patient because it is hard to see and snake everything around. I replaced mine and am back on the road.