Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP! New Master and Slave Cylinder installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! New Master and Slave Cylinder installed

I have a 99 TA and installed new stock master and slave cylinder. First I installed the master and then the slave cylinder. After installing the slave cylinder as per install university I turned the car on and was able to shift into first gear. I finished putting the tranny back in place. I noticed the clutch had no resistance going down and I pulled it back. I figured it was because of air in the line.
I bleed the system for about 20 min. The clutch is still very soft and it has to be pulled back manually. I am under the car loosening the bleeder valve and someone is in the car pushing the clutch.
Could I have missed something? Does it take longer to bleed the system? I noticed the clutch reservoir oil going down very slowly.
Any help will be appreciated
Thanks.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

These cars are notoriously hard to bleed.. its sounds like you just haven't quite got it yet..
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just in case you aren't doing it right... take off the cap from the master cylinder resavior. Have the guy up top pump the clutch vigorously like 15 times. On the 15th time he should hold down the clutch pedal to the floor and yell "ready!" That's when you crack the bleeder for a few seconds, then tighten it up and yell, "ok!" and he lets the pedal go, probably having to pull the pedal up manually with his foot. Then have him pump it another 15 times vigorously again and then hold it down and yell "ready!" Then you crack the bleeder for a few seconds, then tighten it up and yell, "ok!" At this point you have done this twice and should go look at the master cylinder resavior, it should be low on fluid, fill it up to the line or higher since its gonna get low again, and start everything all over. After doing that whole scenario a couple times you should start getting to a point where the pedal will come up on its own and won't need to be pulled up manually.

Is this how you are doing it?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

Well, everybody has there way to do it, and if it works for you, great, no sense in changing the way that works for you.

However, I don't like to "pump" the pedal (agitates fluid, forming little air bubbles) Here is how we do it at our shop, and never have a problem:

top off reservoir

Car on jackstands

Someone under car on slave

person in car

Person in car, apply pressure to pedal, but do not pump, and do not push to floor.
Tell person underneath, to open slave, when open, SLOWLY push clutch pedal to floor, RIGHT BEFORE pedal gets to floor, yell to him, CLOSE IT!

Release the pedal, and repeat. After 3-4 times of this, will probaly need to top off reservoir. Make sure you DON'T run it empty, or you start all over.

Do these steps until you have a firm pedal and no more air coming out slave.

Should take 5-15 minutes is all.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by aztec416
I noticed the clutch reservoir oil going down very slowly.

When? DURING teh process or? If during, then yes, that is correct, as when you open slave, you lose fluid, and reservoir will slowly empty.

However, if you are losing fluid, and doing nothing, then you have a leak somewhere.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response. I tried the pump actions technique for some time but no results. I am now trying Gen414 technique. So far the pedal feels a little hard and then it goes soft. I will keep at it.

The reservoir oil goes down during the process of bleeding it.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, everybody has there way to do it, and if it works for you, great, no sense in changing the way that works for you.

However, I don't like to "pump" the pedal (agitates fluid, forming little air bubbles) Here is how we do it at our shop, and never have a problem:
Yea, I didn't mean mine was the right way, I was just making sure he wasn't just running the resavoir empty or pumping the pedal with the bleeder open.

That makes sense about the bubbles. I never thought of that. I was thinking if you pumped it, it would help dislodge any bubbles hiding or trapped in the system. I've actually done it both ways with the same results.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Hey guys so I bleed the system for about an hour and no luck. What could I have missed? I am so lost don't know what to do or check.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the response. I tried the pump actions technique for some time but no results. I am now trying Gen414 technique. So far the pedal feels a little hard and then it goes soft. I will keep at it.

The reservoir oil goes down during the process of bleeding it.
Yes, that is fine. Just keep topping it off.

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Yea, I didn't mean mine was the right way, I was just making sure he wasn't just running the resavoir empty or pumping the pedal with the bleeder open.

That makes sense about the bubbles. I never thought of that. I was thinking if you pumped it, it would help dislodge any bubbles hiding or trapped in the system. I've actually done it both ways with the same results.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, if it works for you stick with it I was just saying what works for US, and in my own experience how I described it, is again, what worked. What I am saying is, HOWEVER you get it bled, and it works, THAT is the right way.

Hey guys so I bleed the system for about an hour and no luck. What could I have missed? I am so lost don't know what to do or check.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Are you losing any fluid else where? Looked for leaks? Air that could be entering the system? Check all lines and connections? Take a flash light and take a peek inside teh tranny @ the slave/lines and look for fluid there (obviously there wil be some fluid in that area from bleeding)

EDIT: What is the pedal doing now? have you driven it?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Reading your very first post.

What do you mean....

"After installing the slave cylinder as per install university I turned the car on and was able to shift into first gear. I finished putting the tranny back in place"

How could you start teh car, put it in first, and THEN put the tranny in?

Or do you mean, just finishing the install, like tightening up bolts, crossmember, etc...?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Gen414 yeah I just finished the install , tightening the bolts etc.

As of last night there was no pressure and no i haven't driven it.

Will get back on it today. Thinking about getting my hands on a mighty vac.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:52 PM
FormerVendor

.....Thinking about getting my hands on a mighty vac.

Worth a shot if can't get it the other way...

Quick Reply: HELP! New Master and Slave Cylinder installed