Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch was slipping, took it out but its perfectly fine...what to look for next? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch was slipping, took it out but its perfectly fine...what to look for next? Pics

Well I have a Spec Stage 3 Clutch in my car and it started slipping, I removed it this past week only to discover it seems to be in perfectly fine shape. Measurments are in the proper wear catagory, lots of dust but thats about it. What do you guys think I should do next? Bleed the hydraulic system? Remove the shim? I will post pics of the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. If I need to bleed the system im thinking about upgrading to a remote bleeder...

Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:56 PM
FormerVendor

Can you tell us what it was doing, when it was slipping? Reason I ask this is I JUST had a customer come in after he thought his clutch was slipping, and problem was not even tranny/clutch related, so that is why I ask....What was the car doing for you to say clutch is slipping?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see a few bluing marks and heat checks. PLus there is a tiny nick marks that look like morse code on the flywheel as well. Get another clutch set up. IMO
Old 08-24-2009, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Well what was happening was when I was just lugging around on the highway in a high gear (5th and 6th) it slipped. When I pressed the gas the RPMs got higher but the car didnt follow, this kept happening until it got worse and worse and made its way down through all the gears. When I took the car off the road it was on its last legs, I don't think it would of drove another few days.

Thanks for the replies so far, you guys are always a great help.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is that you bought a spec.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem. I got a new slave and it magically solved it! This was with my SPEC 3+.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, this guy is a genius!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Well what was happening was when I was just lugging around on the highway in a high gear (5th and 6th) it slipped. When I pressed the gas the RPMs got higher but the car didnt follow, this kept happening until it got worse and worse and made its way down through all the gears. When I took the car off the road it was on its last legs, I don't think it would of drove another few days.

Thanks for the replies so far, you guys are always a great help.

Well, it sounds like your clutch was slipping, yes. Press gas, RPM's go up, car does not, does sound like clutch slippage. How old is setup? There is a lot of clutch dust, so probaly has some mileage on it, OR has been slipping for awhile...Give us a few more details and see if we can't figure it out.

Originally Posted by slayerized6
Old 08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

The clutch I bought brand new in April and it has 4 months of wear on it or about 4500 miles. The clutch has been slipping for a good few weeks before I took it out, reason being because the car is a DD and I had nothing else to use so I had no choice.

Im going to try to put everything back together today, including bleeding the hydro system and a new slave, and pray it works.

Anyone have any tricks to disconnecting the slave cylinder from the line? All the quick disconnect tools I've tried have not worked, I don't really want to have to order the tool from GM. Also a GM Tech told me a little trick they have it to press down on both tabs with flathead screwdrivers and it should pop off, anyone else do this?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

the screwdriver method is what i have used, kinda tricky cause you have to pull as you pinch and pry
Old 08-26-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Still looks pretty good for it to start slipping.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use the spec shim behind the slave?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Yes the shim was in place
Old 08-29-2009, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove the shim and it will be fine.
this is very common around 3000 miles if you use the shim
Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

Sorry for the delayed reaponse guys...I was out last week for the birst of my second son and now I am playing catch-up! You indicated that the measurements were in spec. I assume that you called and spoke with one of our sales/tech guys about this. But, for the sake of having all the details I have to ask a few questions. What is the disc thickness? Where was the engagement point relative to pedal travel?

I don't really see anything that evidenced an issue in the pics provided...but as you know pictures are worth a thousand words though they may not tell the whole story. How are things working now that you have reinstalled?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slayerized6

I've seen first hand how SPEC produces their kits.............that statement is inaccurate
Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Sorry for the delayed reaponse guys...I was out last week for the birst of my second son and now I am playing catch-up! You indicated that the measurements were in spec. I assume that you called and spoke with one of our sales/tech guys about this. But, for the sake of having all the details I have to ask a few questions. What is the disc thickness? Where was the engagement point relative to pedal travel?

I don't really see anything that evidenced an issue in the pics provided...but as you know pictures are worth a thousand words though they may not tell the whole story. How are things working now that you have reinstalled?

Hey, congrats on the birth of your son, good luck to you and your whole family! Yes, I spoke to Jeremy about my situation, the disc thickness was right around .340'' all around. The clutch my my eyes looked fine aswell. I have not had a chance to reinstall yet being I just started college up again last week and have been very busy with that and work, I am actually reinstalling today when I get home.

So here is the run down for today:

New flywheel
New slave
Bleed slave
Reinstall clutch with NO shim??
Reinstall trans, driveshaft, etc..
Old 08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
FormerVendor

This is Jeremy! I thought I recognized the screen-name! Keep me posted as you proceed and let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for the congrats and well wishes!
Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM

My first Spec 3 (with resurfaced stock flywheel) lasted 9000 miles and then slipped the same as you describe. When I had installed the clutch I put a Mcloud master in. Next I used a Spec 3+ with Spec flywheel and it lasted 4000 miles before slipping as you describe. I then went with a RAM Powergrip HD with resurfaced stock flywheel and it lasted about 2500 miles before slipping, but the pedal started sticking down about 1/2 way when depressed. I replaced the Mcloud master with the stock one and it fixed the problem with the pedal sticking. Also, the clutch stopped slipping for a couple days, but the damage must have been done because it came back shortly after. Up until this point every clutch I removed looked very similar to yours with minor heat marks, but the friction material looking good.

Having fixed the problem with the master I went back to a Spec 3 with Spec flywheel and it lasted about 3000 miles before it started slipping when hitting the nitrous (around 500rwhp in the spray) and on power shifts at the track. I barely got it home and this time the flywheel was 1/2 blue from driving home with it slipping.

I really think these cars are just cursed (probably mostly due to the hydraulic setup), as myself and everyone I know that owns a 6 speed fbody are plagued with trans/clutch related issues, one right after another.

I now have a Monster level 3, Tick master, and new slave that I just installed. I'll let you know how they perform once all the bugs are worked out (not currently able to shift hard while getting on it as the pedal sticks to the floor...work in progress).

Quick Reply: Clutch was slipping, took it out but its perfectly fine...what to look for next? Pics