Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help for a manual trans dummy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a manual trans dummy?

I recently purchased an 04 GTO motor/T56 combo to put in my 67 nova. I debated going with a manual trans but since I havent had one for many years I chose to go the manual route.

With all the work on cars ive done I know embarassingly little about manual transmissions so I may as well just ask.

First, has anyone here put a T56 in a 67 nova? The trans tunnel had to go and to get it to a height im comfortable with it really gets up high into the car, so much so that half of the driveshaft tunnel will have to be raised also, have others had this experience?

Also, with the GTO shifter so far back what has to be changed to relocate the shifter. Will a camaro shifter interchange and wouldnt it make the shifter even higher in the car? Actually the shifter location feels ok to me the way it is but wondering in case I want to change it later.

And what is the round thing just to the left (drivers side) and below the shifter with an electrical plug connection. Is this the neutral safety switch? Can I remove it? It sticks out so far it will make the trans tunnel I will have to fabricate be much wider than I want it to be.

Is the tail housing for the GTO trans the same as the camaro/firebird?

Thanks Mike
Old 08-30-2009, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Motown
And what is the round thing just to the left (drivers side) and below the shifter with an electrical plug connection. Is this the neutral safety switch? Can I remove it? It sticks out so far it will make the trans tunnel I will have to fabricate be much wider than I want it to be.

Is the tail housing for the GTO trans the same as the camaro/firebird?

Thanks Mike
Don't know about the rest but the answer to the first part is the Reverse Lockout Solenoid, it blocks out Reverse while driving.

Yes they both are the same.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Perhaps I can help a little bit on the T56 tranny itself, however I can't be much help with the fitment aspects in regards to the 67 Nova. Sounds like it will be really cool when you get it done.

The F-body shifters, Firebird, Trans Am, Camaro have a different offset lever.
( where the shifter goes into ). It can easily be changed by just driving out a roll pin. That useless piece of dung solenoid on the driver side is the CAGS or skip-shift solenoid. At a low RPM it forces the car to shift 1st to 4th gear. I beleive it's an emissions thing. We have ways to bypass those with ready made plug in kits, reprogramming the cars ECU, shunting a resister across the solenoid. You could most likely remove and plug it somehow.

Yes the tail housing is exactly the same for F-body vs GTO T56's.

Hi the_merv.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

What's up bearcatt.

I do think he is talking about the Rev. Lockout.. read how he describes it..
Old 08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Plus come to think of it, the reverse lockout is also on the drivers side.

Mike in Motown. At first I thought he was from Detroit but he's up in Modesto California.
Approx 280 miles north of me.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, the reverse lockout will stay. No big deal, I'll just have to make the tunnel a little wider. I found a T56 exploded view and it looks like a camaro shifter will bolt right on if I think its too far back in the GTO location.

Yes Motown if for Modesto ca.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's good that you were able to pickup the MN12 T56 GTO version.

Quick Reply: Help for a manual trans dummy?