Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting problems at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting problems at WOT

Normal driving and shifting my car is normal and smooth as butter. My problem lies when I go WOT and then hard **** into pretty much any gear. Ex. If I start in first and floor it and fast shift to 2nd above, say...4000rpms I hear a loud clunk and my car feels like it hits a brick wall, 1-2 seconds after that it takes off normally. This happens 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and at times even 4-5.

If I rev to 5k or so, push the clutch in, wait 1-2 seconds and then shift it shifts normally. This ONLY happens when I try to shift fast regardless of speed. It happens 4/5 times. the other time it acts normally and spins the crap outta the tires doing a 1-2 shift. Any ideas? My hyd fluid is pretty cloudy colored, but I dont see how it would just start out of the blue. I had the car tuned Saturday and it ran and shifted perfect before. Now it RUNS perfect but I cant do a WOT run w.o it feeling like I missed a gear.

Basically WOT in 1st, clutch in and shifter slammed to 2nd(everything fine at this point), clutch out and gas pedal mashed immediately afterwards and THIS is when I get the clunk/brick wall effect.

FWIW it DOES go into gear and I do have the drill mod w a McCloud MC.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

bleed the clutch.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Need to go ahead and get some new fluid in there. I have heard that some dirty fluid can cause the hydraulics to mess up at high rpm wot shifts but from what you are saying it sounds like another issue. When you shift it into gear then let off the clutch and floor it is it revving up to the moon or is it bogging down. What exactly do you mean by hitting a brick wall?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Have you replaced the restictor in the hydraulic feed line? We have a replacement line kit PN 139212. This will help give your slave a larger volume of fluid to the slave which will give you more bearing stroke which will give you more air gap between the disc and pressure plate.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im starting to think it *could* be wheel hop but what gets me is it does it at almost any speed from 20-50. When I release the clutch and mash on it it feels like it grabs for an instant, disengages and then reengages. Kinda like if I was to completely let off of the gas and then romp on it. Almost like a stutter.

I tried to recreate it last night and 6 straight attempts and full WOT it just spun the tires normally so I gave up and then turned a corner and gave it about 80% throttle hard shifted and then it skipped or stuttered. Its starting to feel like its coming from the rear of the car, but thats the best description I can give :/
Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And now for a noob question.. what the hell does wheel hop feel like? Ive never experienced it before. The whole suspension on my car is aftermarket but theres always a possibility i recently broke something.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was trying to think of a better way to describe this "gap". Its kinda like when you blow your rear end and how it seizes and if youre moving its like your car violently stops, except mine does it for just an instant and then continues. I hear no other noises except the bang when it does it. The gears themselves are only 3 years old in the rear.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok it seems it doesnt happen at only WOT...Today I downshifted from 6th to 4th gear at about 60 mph and it sputtered and then continued on its way...

Anyone? This is frustrating the **** out of me!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Launching!

That sounds more like your torque arm bushing!! nothing to do w/trans or clutch!!
well ok it does connect to your tailshaft.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats a little weird problem you got there, almost like a tooth is broken off you ring and pinion or on your spider gears or somethin like that. Probably not the problem but thats the first thing i think of when you talk what its doing. Maybe someone will chime in that knows what they are talking about cause i dont lol. Hope you get it fixed man, i know how frustrating somethin like that can be.

Quick Reply: Shifting problems at WOT