Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission won't line up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission won't line up?

Ok so let me start off the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and bellhousing are all lined up correctly and we cannot get the transmission to slide in. It looks like it's sliding in with the input shaft inside the pressure plate but it won't grab. The transmission is like about 2 inches or so from the bellhousing and won't grab? Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to try tomorrow to remove the torque arm completely to see if this will help get it to line up because it seems like it's hitting the torque arm. Just for knowledge the torque arm is an aftermarket BMR torque arm. We tried for about an hour and cannot get it to line up! It's so frustrating!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

i had this problem myself i think it took 6 hrs to get the damn thing in! I ended up lightly jacking up the front of the oil pan to tilt he engine back. i also had the trans in N, so i had 2 guys pushing the trans forward and one guy on the back side of it twisting the drive-shaft so the splines would line up. after i got it on that far i started a few bolts and pulled the transmission on the rest of the way. be very careful not to strip out your bolt holes if you get it close and deside to try it that way. And make sure your alignment pins are set and lined up too!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

I had the same problem when I was trying to reinstall my trans. Turned out the input shaft was binding in the splines on the clutch disc. Added a thin coating of grease to the splines and it slid right in.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to kick the **** out of my trans to get it to slide in both times i took it out. I suggest leaving the trans in neutral in case the splines are not lined up. Buy a long *** bolt and thread it in and use that to get pull the trans in(Make sure those splines are lined up you dont want to f anything UPP).
Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

The best way I found is having someone else push up on the oil pan while you slide the tranny in.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheap plastic alignment tools. push up a tad on the tool as your tightening the PP
I had a fake input shaft made to use as an alignment tool
Old 09-06-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

IMHO never try to get the tranny in by using bolts to pull it in.

Assumeing the clutch is lined up correctly with the plastic spline tool included the engine and tranny also need to be at the same "angle". Using a floor jack under motor can help do this. You want the space between bellhousing and tranny to be = top/bottom & L/R.

Pulling in tranny with bolts almost always kills pilot bearings/bushings

I have found that putting pressure "straight" in on the allignment tool while initially tightening enough of the PP bolts to hold the clutch in helps center it. Also feel around the edge of disc & PP when you have it on. It should be EVEN all the way around the disc & PP. You don't want the edge of either different from one side of the clutch to the other
Attached Thumbnails Transmission won't line up?-clutch-inst-6-pp-disc-fly.jpg  
Old 09-10-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crack the bleeder valve on the slave also; trying to compress air or fluid in the slave will make tranny installation a serious headache.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 AM
FormerVendor

Crack the bleeder on the slave and compress the bearing fully. This will relieve pressure on the bearing which can prohibit the trans from sliding on. Also make sure that the pilot bearing is seated in the crank correctly/completely. As mentioned do not use bolts to pull the trans on. This can tweak the disc leading to release issues and it can also damage the pilot. If the shaft isn't lining up with the hub of the disc it will leave witness marks that should be visible on the hub. Take a look and see if the hub is being hit by the shaft. If you still have issues let me know and we can continue to assist with trouble shooting as needed. Thanks,
Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
cheap plastic alignment tools. push up a tad on the tool as your tightening the PP
I had a fake input shaft made to use as an alignment tool
bingo.

that was the problem with mine.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Crack the bleeder valve on the slave also; trying to compress air or fluid in the slave will make tranny installation a serious headache.
do this, I gaurantee it will slide in after you crack the bleeder open..... done this....um a few more times then id like to remember
Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

My one in the car was a bitch, I just installed one in a friends truck and it slid right in..

Pain in the ***..lol
Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

I just installed new clutch, flywheel, pp and pilot bearing and then I tried to install my trans. It went all the way in except for the last 1/4 of an inch. It look to me like the dowel pins were fighting it but I could get all the bolts in. So I slowly in a cross pattern tightened the trans bolts and pulled the trans in. It didn't go hard and I tried the alignment tool like 5 times before this all happened and it went in fine. Everyone is telling me that I probably fucked up my pilot or clutch. Did you ever end up having any problems when you had to pull your trans in with the bolts the guys that did?

Quick Reply: Transmission won't line up?