Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Only the inside of the clutch disc is worn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Only the inside of the clutch disc is worn?

Clutch was slipping after going to the track so I pulled it out thinking it might not be strong enough to handle my power level. It was holding fine until I went to the track with tons of 1st thru 4th pulls on the street. Anyway, I pulled it out and only the inside of the clutch disc is worn. I'm surprised the clutch wasnt slipping before actually because only half of the puck is worn. What could cause this? Please don't say bad hydraulics. Thats an expense process of elimination. This is an older SPEC stage 4 with a 10.5" sprung hub disc.

I was also wondering; the newer disc from SPEC and Monster are full 11". What is the benefit of a 11" disc to a 10.5" disc?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SStolen
Clutch was slipping after going to the track so I pulled it out thinking it might not be strong enough to handle my power level. It was holding fine until I went to the track with tons of 1st thru 4th pulls on the street. Anyway, I pulled it out and only the inside of the clutch disc is worn. I'm surprised the clutch wasnt slipping before actually because only half of the puck is worn. What could cause this? Please don't say bad hydraulics. Thats an expense process of elimination. This is an older SPEC stage 4 with a 10.5" sprung hub disc.

I was also wondering; the newer disc from SPEC and Monster are full 11". What is the benefit of a 11" disc to a 10.5" disc?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Well, first of all...did you use a shim? You know, most Specs (from what I read, nothing more) have called for a shim. If YOURS did not need one, but got installed anyway, then that could be your source of slippage (improperly setup). The benefit of a 11" over a 10" is more surface area (ie, grip)
How old is your setup? How many street miles??
Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also thought there would be more surface area but there is not. Both the 10" and 11" clutch disc use the same size pucks. The only difference is the puck is moved further up and away from the center of the hub. The only thing I could see is if the pressure plate applies more force at the perimeter of the disc in which case it would have more bite but that is it.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Did you find an answer to why only half of the puck was worn?
I don't quite have a LS series engine, I have an SR20DET, but I just pulled my motor and have the same wear issues.

The clutch never slipped, and was holding/gripping fine, but it has worn strangely.
On the pressure plate side, the wear is normal/across the whole puck.
However, on the flywheel side, only the inside of the pucks seem to have worn.
I can see this on the flywheel as well, as the inner surface shown more usage.

I bough the setup with clutch installed, but it's only a year old.
I'm wondering if you have any info, or if you've found/read any info.

p.s. what would you have to shim when installing if needed at all?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

SS, I am a bit perplexed by your reference to a 10.5" disc. Our earlier LS1 discs were 11" and our new assemblies are 12". That being said when and where was this initiall bought? Was it installed in your car when it was new? What flywheel is being used? Please provide me with a bit more info and I will be happy to assist you further. You can also send me some pics of the parts or even post them here so I can further assess this situation. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

For the record, Monster is a 12" unit not a 11" unit... Even though we will be releasing an 11" "Motorsport" clutch at the end of the year.