Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Problem Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problem Please Help

I drove my car Wednesday and the clutch was fine. I didn't drive it or even get in the car yesterday. This morning I get in the car and feel for the clutch and I'm like WTF?!?! It's all the way to the floor and will only push in like 2-3 inches. I pushed in the little way it would go in and try to start the car and all it wants to do is start to jump forward on me. I can't for the life of me think what this could be ? How the hell does it go from driving fine to me getting in it and now this ?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Forgot to mention my car has 53K miles on it and is a 2000 Z28. The clutch and everything with it is still all stock. But like I said, it was fine with no problems what so ever and then all the sudden this happens.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

I talked to a friend that said it's the slave cylinder and it was a common thing on these cars. He said on LT1 cars it's easy to fix because it's on the side of the tranny. But on LS1 cars you have to pull the tranny to get to it. He also noted that I should buy an adjustable slave cylinder for when I eventually go to a stronger clutch. Would we agree with this and if so how much are the adjustable slave cylinders and where is the best place to buy one ?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Hydraulic issues are very common on the LS based cars. Of course, a few things could lead to this issue. To begin look under the car and see if there is any evidence of a leak. If the slave has popped it will leak and there will be fluid under the car, or seeping from the bell.

Next I suggest checking the fluid in the reservoir. Is it low? Is it dark or discolored? If so, its time for a flush and refill. If not, then you can try bleeding the system to insure that the fluid hasn't simply been aerated. I suggest using a mighty-vac when bleeding the system: connecting to the bleeder off the slave initially; then connecting to the cap on the reservoir to insure you get all the air out. It can take some time so be patient.

If this doesn't help then its time to strart considering a slave and master replacement. There are tons of options available from the aftermarket. If you have any questions about this or anything else I have mentioned let me know. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Clutch Problem Please Help