Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this normal?

If I'm doing about 60mph and have the car in 6th gear and stomp on the gas, the motor over powers the clutch and the clutch starts slipping.

Also, about a week ago I had a really bad vibration/chatter when starting from a dead stop in 1st gear.

One day, when I was racing a WS6, the clutch would slip when I threw it into 3rd (from highway speed) and rev up the engine to about 4.5K rpms. After a few times, it wouldn't slip as bad, and then the vibrations/chatter quit.

Quick history: I bought the car with a Ram spec 3 clutch, but the slave wasn't shimmed right for about 1,500 miles and then I drove on it like that for about another 1,500 miles, but then I had it fixed. Is there a process to "seat" the clutch or is it already bad because of the roughly 3k miles of an improperly shimmed slave?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

Usually, the way to check if your clutch is slipping is to get upto speed (~55mph) in sixth gear and mash the gas pedal. If your clutch starts slipping, it's a good sign that it's time to replace the clutch. This seems to be the case here. Once it starts slipping, it's pretty much downhill from there. I know you don't want to hear it, but I think it's time for a new clutch.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. Clutch slipping is never good, especially part throttle.
However a shiming issue could cause this as well...
Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

If in need of a clutch, you can check out my site in my sig below. I am a dealer for Monster Clutches.

From what you describe, it appears that you have a clutch that is slipping. BUt as said already, an improperly installed (ie shimmed) slave/clutch setup, will cause these symptoms as well.

Now, if it is just improperly shimmed causing it to slip, and you do not slip it too bad, you can still re-use that clutch, once setup correctly.

What I am saying is, just because teh clutch slipped once or twice (or whatever), does NOT mean you ruined teh disc/PP.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you need a new clutch pal! And no it is not normal at all!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Yeah those monster clutches look badass, but definately more than I'm ready to spend. I'd probably just throw a stock FW back in the car. I don't need a master or slave, because they were replaced like 4K miles ago.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?