Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just bought T56 2nd gear grinding

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought T56 2nd gear grinding

Ok, here's my situation. I bought a T56 about 5 months ago for my LS swap. The Tranny is out of a 2001 Trans Am and is suppose to have 55,000 miles on it. I bought it from a junkyard out of Arizona and had is shipped to my door for $1485. I just finished my swap and decided to take the car for it's 1st test drive and it doesn't want to go into 2nd gear. 1st gear and reverse seem to work fine, but when I tried to shift into 2nd gear all I hear is grinding. I haven't been able to check any other gears, because I have to send my PCM off anyway to have it retuned. (apparently it's currently in abuse mode) Is there something else I should check before I call this junkyard and see about the 6 month warranty? Only thing is it really sucks to have to pull this engine and tranny again, or even drop the tranny.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gjohnson
Ok, here's my situation. I bought a T56 about 5 months ago for my LS swap. The Tranny is out of a 2001 Trans Am and is suppose to have 55,000 miles on it. I bought it from a junkyard out of Arizona and had is shipped to my door for $1485. I just finished my swap and decided to take the car for it's 1st test drive and it doesn't want to go into 2nd gear. 1st gear and reverse seem to work fine, but when I tried to shift into 2nd gear all I hear is grinding. I haven't been able to check any other gears, because I have to send my PCM off anyway to have it retuned. (apparently it's currently in abuse mode) Is there something else I should check before I call this junkyard and see about the 6 month warranty? Only thing is it really sucks to have to pull this engine and tranny again, or even drop the tranny.

Well, before you do anything, you need to drive teh car to see if it does this in any of the other gears. Not quite sure why you would drive it only in 1st and 2nd?????

Once you find out if it does it in all of the gears or just 2nd (BIG difference one way or the other) and we can help better diagnose your problem.

IF it is just 2nd gear, probaly have a bad 2nd gear synchro
Old 09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well that's sort of the problem. My setup was swapped into a 1997 Nissan 240sx. I had to have the PCM retuned to remove Vats and everything, but for some reason the PCM is automaticly going into abuse mode, which means the car won't rev past 1500rpms. Of course when they shipped my the Tranny all the fluid had been drained and evnerything, but yeah I have no idea how the other gears work.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Well that's sort of the problem. My setup was swapped into a 1997 Nissan 240sx. I had to have the PCM retuned to remove Vats and everything, but for some reason the PCM is automaticly going into abuse mode, which means the car won't rev past 1500rpms. Of course when they shipped my the Tranny all the fluid had been drained and evnerything, but yeah I have no idea how the other gears work.

Well, you definitely need to get teh car going and drive it to know what the problem is.

What you can also try, is start teh car, and just go through the gears, act like you are driving down teh road, but just sitting still in your driveway. That can get you a pretty good idea if hydraulic or tranny related, but again, make sure car is running.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gen414
What you can also try, is start teh car, and just go through the gears, act like you are driving down teh road, but just sitting still in your driveway. That can get you a pretty good idea if hydraulic or tranny related, but again, make sure car is running.
Ok, when I attempt this should I release the clutch in these gears to see if it grinds as well? I did try a 2nd gear start yesterday and all it would do is grind, should I attempt the same in all of the gears?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well I finally had a chance to jump in the car and try out the other gears. I started her up and ran throught all the gears and all of them were fine but 2nd. I would put the car in each gear and slightly let off the clutch and the car would either start to move or start to die. When I tried 2nd gear it would just start grinding. I finally got the car to go into 2nd gear after I shifted back in forth between 1st and 2nd and then let off the clutch, but after it engaged properly I pushed the clutch back in and shifted to another gear and then back to 2nd and it started grinding again. So assume this is the 1-2 synchro, right? Sorry, this is the 1st time I've ever had a problem with a Tranny.

What can I expect the process to be for this junkyard Warranty consideing the junkyard is about 1000 miles away?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump!!!

Am I overlooking something here or is this a 1st -2nd synchro issue?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 PM
FormerVendor

Ok, well I finally had a chance to jump in the car and try out the other gears. I started her up and ran throught all the gears and all of them were fine but 2nd. I would put the car in each gear and slightly let off the clutch and the car would either start to move or start to die. When I tried 2nd gear it would just start grinding. I finally got the car to go into 2nd gear after I shifted back in forth between 1st and 2nd and then let off the clutch, but after it engaged properly I pushed the clutch back in and shifted to another gear and then back to 2nd and it started grinding again. So assume this is the 1-2 synchro, right? Sorry, this is the 1st time I've ever had a problem with a Tranny.

What can I expect the process to be for this junkyard Warranty consideing the junkyard is about 1000 miles away?
Could not tell you on the warranty. best thing to do is call them straight up and see what they say

Bump!!!

Am I overlooking something here or is this a 1st -2nd synchro issue?

Sounds like a synchro problem, yes. If only grinds in 2nd gear, then I would lean that way.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I finally spoke to someone at the junkyard that could give me some info. He said that my Tranny has a 6 month warranty on parts only, so I need to contact a shop and find out how much the parts will cost to fix and let them know.

So, what do you guys recommend. I had to send my PCM off to be flashed again, but I should get it back next week. Should I take it to a local shop and have them check it out while it's driveable or should I just go ahead and pull the engine and tranny and drop the tranny off at a shop to have them disassemble and inspect what all might be damaged?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?????
Old 09-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=gjohnson;12237243

So, what do you guys recommend. I had to send my PCM off to be flashed again, but I should get it back next week. Should I take it to a local shop and have them check it out while it's driveable or should I just go ahead and pull the engine and tranny and drop the tranny off at a shop to have them disassemble and inspect what all might be damaged?[/QUOTE]

I'd pull the trans and drop it off, the labor will be $$$ but at least the price of parts might be covered....
Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds mightily familiar. Had the same problems when I got my T56. Tore it down, broken shift pads and broken keys. Gambled (was broke) on the 2nd gear synchro and put it back together. Synchro was weak but it allowed me to drive the car using second without a problem, just have to be "easy" on it going into 2nd. It sort of "falls" in, you can't just shift it quickly.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:41 PM
FormerVendor

anyone?????
Well, if not able to rebuild, but able to pull it out, then yes....do that. Take it to a place, have them open it up and order parts necessary to fix.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I've got another quick question. I had someone on another board to tell me to make sure the CAGS had been disabled. He said he had a friend with the same issue and the skip shift was the culprit. Does that sound possible in my situation?

With my setup I am running a Truck PCM and a Truck harness modified for the T56. I didn't have a skip shift plug so I just left the CAGS unplugged. I really hadn't considered there was any way to disable it. Do I need to remove the solenoid? Could it be giving me grief???
Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

I thought the CAGS completely prevented you from hitting 2nd, under light throttle...? Jegs/Summit/Ebay has the CAGS disable pigtails for $20-$30, or just pull the solenoid as you mentioned.
FWIW, this is what concerns me buying a junkyard t56.. I figure I'll just buy one that already needs a rebuild for cheap, doesn't seem worth it to pay 1200 to 1500 for something that might be junk anyway
Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
FormerVendor

Ok, I've got another quick question. I had someone on another board to tell me to make sure the CAGS had been disabled. He said he had a friend with the same issue and the skip shift was the culprit. Does that sound possible in my situation?

With my setup I am running a Truck PCM and a Truck harness modified for the T56. I didn't have a skip shift plug so I just left the CAGS unplugged. I really hadn't considered there was any way to disable it. Do I need to remove the solenoid? Could it be giving me grief???
even if that was the case, it would not (shouldn't) grind.

My money is on synchro
Old 11-05-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I know it's been a while since I updated so. I ended up pulling the engine and Tranny again and it was shipped back out to Arizona to the junk yard for repair under my 6 month warranty. (which from what I recall expires this week.) I spoke to the yard on Tuesday and they said it was at the shop being repaired and the they were told it would be done around the middle of this week and be ready to be shipped back to me by Friday or this coming Monday.

Man I am ready to actually drive this car, so I can't wait to get the tranny back. Hopefully I won't have any more issues after this.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess 1 good thing came out of this. Since the engine and tranny was pulled anyway, I went ahead and picked up a Tick speed bleeder for the reinstall. I just hope I will finally get a chance to drive this project I've been building since May.

Also, when I talked to the Junk yard on Tuesday I asked them if there would be any warranty on the repair that was being done and they said no, since my 6 month warranty was running out. Does that sound right? I figured there would be some kind of warranty on the work that is being done now. Of course they said that I can extend the warranty for another 6 months for 20% of my purchase price. But I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend another $250 bucks, for only 6 months.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

I guess 1 good thing came out of this. Since the engine and tranny was pulled anyway, I went ahead and picked up a Tick speed bleeder for the reinstall. I just hope I will finally get a chance to drive this project I've been building since May.

Also, when I talked to the Junk yard on Tuesday I asked them if there would be any warranty on the repair that was being done and they said no, since my 6 month warranty was running out. Does that sound right? I figured there would be some kind of warranty on the work that is being done now. Of course they said that I can extend the warranty for another 6 months for 20% of my purchase price. But I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend another $250 bucks, for only 6 months.

Well, first of all, did THEY pay for shipping? Either way, it sounds like you need to find another palce to edal with. If they are fixing something, then the "warranty" should start over again. That is like buying a part that has a 1 year warranty on it, and 10 months later it goes out, you get another one, and they tell you warranty runs out in 2 more months. BS!! it starts OVER.

Another crooked shop, which I am starting to NOT be surprised anymroe...
Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea if they didnt give me another 6 months warranty the day they are going to send it back then id tell them just send my money back and get a trans from somebody respectable!!!

Quick Reply: Just bought T56 2nd gear grinding