Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd gear issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear issue

I recently bought a 02 SOM WS6 M6 Hurst shifter, and am having problems with 2nd gear. It will go into second gear fine, but when I let out the clutch 10% of the time it will pop back into neutral. Here is a little background on the transsission. The guy I bought it from told me he had it rebuilt and beefed up but when he got it back it would grind going to second. He said the guy that rebuilt it would fix it for free, since it was his fault. So I told him if he had that fixed I would buy his car. So he gets that fixed and has the problem I have now. I buy the car anyway knowing the problem, but now would like to get to the bottom of it, because its kind of emabarrasing driving around town shifting to second and it not staying in. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Double check the shifter stops first. Otherwise, if it pops out of gear, then it wasn't fully engaged to begin with. This can happen if the shift fork pads are worn/broken inside the trans, or the synchro slider keys are broken/blocking the slider, etc. Only a tear-down will tell for sure.