Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CTSV flywheel

Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTSV flywheel

Hi, I need to know if I can replace the dual mass CTS flywheel with a LS2 flywheel, or any other flywheel ? Also can this setup be used on a camaro LS1 ? Thanks, Dean.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

Well Dean...you ask a great question. The primary difference between the CTS-V and LS applications is the flywheel and its associated depth. The CTS-V uses a dual-mass flywheel from the factory and this necessitates that the parts used as replacement maintain this unique geometry.

We offer two different part number for this application. The SC68-2 kits use the stock cover design at their base and are meant to bolt to the stock dual-mass flywheel. Our SC68 series clutch kits use a plate that is similar to those found in our other LS based kits but there is a significant difference in the shim thickness. The CTS-V requires a .800" shim when used with our single-mass flywheel. In the end it comes down to what you want to use an OE or OE-like flywheel or another Aftermarket offering.

As for the use of the CTS-V parts in a LS1 Camaro...this would be a no go because of the difference in thickness relative to the dual-mass flywheel. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 09-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Well Dean...you ask a great question. The primary difference between the CTS-V and LS applications is the flywheel and its associated depth. The CTS-V uses a dual-mass flywheel from the factory and this necessitates that the parts used as replacement maintain this unique geometry.

We offer two different part number for this application. The SC68-2 kits use the stock cover design at their base and are meant to bolt to the stock dual-mass flywheel. Our SC68 series clutch kits use a plate that is similar to those found in our other LS based kits but there is a significant difference in the shim thickness. The CTS-V requires a .800" shim when used with our single-mass flywheel. In the end it comes down to what you want to use an OE or OE-like flywheel or another Aftermarket offering.

As for the use of the CTS-V parts in a LS1 Camaro...this would be a no go because of the difference in thickness relative to the dual-mass flywheel. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Instead of using a shim can you just run a slave from a ls1 vette or GTO ?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
Instead of using a shim can you just run a slave from a ls1 vette or GTO ?
That won't work.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

I have already spoken with Dean about this but wanted to make sure that others new the answer too. There is a stack height difference between the 3 separate set-ups he references. This means that the OE parts are specific and thus aren't inherently interchangeable.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

So if you put a .080 shim between the CST-v TOB and the transmission then you wouldn't have a problem running the LS2 flywheel and the LS7 Clutch and pressure plate? I am curious as there has to be either a critical height (or range) or a way to measure the correct distance between the pressure plate and TOB. I am working on a LS2 mn12 swap in my 70 Chevelle. The MN12 is being converted by another board member with a F-body tail housing and GTO mainshaft. I have both a new CTS-v TOB and a new F-body one and need to figure out my best option.

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CTSV flywheel