TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVST8OR
pros and cons of each.

thanks,
Brian

I tried both.......Here is my feedback:

Spec stage 3 Carbon/Carbon Steel flywheel and spec pressure plate:
Pros: U can slip the clutch out of the hole.
Cons: 1. Shatter very badly it was shaking the whole drivetrain and it was annoying. I had to launch the car at 1100 all the time to try and avoide it on daily driving bases. And the shatter never faded away as SPEC said.
2. The first SPEC didnt last more than 900 miles when it blew up at 4k launch and messed up my stock master slave clyinder. It gave me my best before the cam though 12.7 at 112mph with a 2.0 60ft while the stock clutch couldnt due to bad slippage.
3. The 2nd SPEC that i got under warranty messed up my stock master slave clyinder again after 1000 miles, but the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate was fine so i sold it. Of course after that i went another route which is the Mcleod.

Mcloed Kevlar/Organic with steel flywheel and mcloed pressure plate and Adj master slave clyinder:
Pros: 1. No shatter what soo ever when it was new.
2. Strong grip never slip when dumbing the clutch at 5500RPM, it broke my DS in half.
3. better for a daily driver since there is no shatter.
4. U can adjust the feel of the pedal.
Cons: 1. It doesnt like to be sliped when launching hard. If u want to slip it u have to let it cool down after each run. It will hold one slip at 5K rpm, but let it cool down for at least half an hour and do another one. I tried slipping my clutch at 5K two times in 10min and the clutch slipped on the 2nd run. After half an hour cool down i cut another 1.9 60ft on and 12.4 with no problems.
2. Bleeding the system is pain, but when u get it right u will be happy.
3. The clutch started to shatter a little bit in the cold weather 30F outside, but nothing like the SPEC though.

Over all i would go with the Mcloed though. I wish i did from the begening and not spend more than 1K on labor and broken parts because of the SPEC clutch.
I hope this write up will help u choose, good luck

Quick Reply: spec vs mcleod