Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A COMPREHENSIVE FAQ: The Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up A COMPREHENSIVE FAQ: The Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit

For those who may not already know, all of us here at Tick Performance have a passion for one common thing - shifting these Corvettes, F-Bodies and GTO cars as quickly as possible. I get multiple calls & e-mails daily from folks all over the world wanting to fix all the shifting problems these cars have become notorious for. Luckily, we've developed the cure: the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit.

Our kit offers a ton of benefits to you:
  • The absolute QUICKEST shifts these cars are capable of!
  • Comprehensive adjustability to guarantee 100% disengagement of ANY clutch setup
  • Extended Clutch Life
  • Extended Transmission Life
  • ...and much, much more. Read on for more information!
Although this post is a long one, it is an ultra informative look inside the dreaded GM Hydraulic setup and a highlight reel of all the gains you'll see by installing one of our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kits. I'll break it down into an FAQ Style format:

1) Why is the GM Hydraulic system so bad?
Let's face it - GM has never been known for putting the strongest rear end components in their sports cars. Corvettes, F-Bodies and GTO cars all the same are known for breaking drivetrain parts while driven aggressively. To save the expense of fixing drivetrain parts under warranty, GM used a weak clutch master cylinder designed to keep shifting slow by limiting fluid volume and restricting it's flow. Unfortunately, these limits and restrictions introduce a whole new wave of problems, including the infamous gear lockout in the upper RPMs, inability to engage first or reverse gear while stopped, clutch pedal sticking to the floor, and a whole host of other issues. If not upgraded, the factory master cylinder will lead to premature clutch wear (and ultimately, failure) and transmission damage.

2) How is the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit an improvement over the stock setup?
We designed our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit to flow a TON more fluid than the stock unit, as well as remove any and all restrictions in the hydraulic system. The combination of these two improvements results in a driving experience that will literally blow you away after years of fighting with the stock master cylinder. With our kit, you'll be using the same hydraulic setup that multiple NASCAR teams use in the racecars you see every Sunday.

Every Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit comes with a completely unrestricted stainless braided line, thus eliminating the need for the "drill mod" made popular in the F-Body community. The line is also heat wrapped, protecting the fluid from boiling and introducing air into the system. We combat fluid boil three different ways: more fluid volume, quicker fluid movement, and advanced protection from heat.

3) How can I tell if I need to upgrade to the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit?
The first step is to determine if your clutch is fully disengaging or not. To do this, you'll need to perform a simple procedure that we call the "rev test".
  1. Make sure your car is on 100% flat, level ground.
  2. Start the car, and shift into first gear.
  3. With your foot still on the clutch, rev the car to the upper RPMs, all the way to redline.
If the car creeps forward at all, you aren't getting a full disengagement of the clutch and it would benefit you to upgrade to our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit.

4) How hard is the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit to install?
All of our kits are direct bolt ins, with no cutting or welding required. They are all reversible in case you ever decide to go back to the factory master cylinder, as well. We design all of our kits with ease of installation in mind, and none of our Master Cylinder Kits require transmission removal to install.

Usually, our Corvette kit takes 60-120 minutes to install and requires drilling two small holes.
Usually, our F-Body kit takes 60-90 minutes to install.
Usually, our GTO kit takes 60-120 minutes to install.

5) Do I need to upgrade my slave as well?
No, we design all of our kits to work flawlessly with your factory slave cylinder. We do suggest keeping the slave cylinder fresh by replacing it every time you remove the transmission from the car, regardless of mileage.

6) What differences can I look forward to while driving the car with your kit installed?
Our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit uses a bigger bore than your factory master cylinder in order to flow more fluid. As a result of this, your pedal pressure will increase by ~15%. This is a GOOD increase that results in a much better feel for the clutch.

When you adjust our kit, you're actually adjusting the amount of fluid that the system flows. As a result, your clutch pedal could be noticeably shorter than it was with the factory cylinder - this just depends on your particular clutch setup. This is another GOOD feature because it results in quicker shifting.

You'll notice that the car goes into gear much easier than before, and shifting will be much more smooth as well.

7) Why is the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit better than any other Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder?
Our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit is the most comprehensive kit on the market. It flows more fluid than any other kit, is more adjustable than any other kit, and you get more for your money with our kit compared to any other kit on the market.

With our kit, we call it adjustable because you're actually adjusting the amount of fluid that the sytem flows. You've likely seen people modify their stock master cylinder to be "adjustable" - unfortunately, all you can adjust with this setup is the dead space in the pedal. There is no way to make the factory cylinder flow significantly more fluid. The RAM Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder for the F-Body and Corvette is simply a modified stock master cylinder. This will not cure any serious clutch disengagement issues.

Aside from our kit, the only other kit on the market that actually flows more fluid than stock is the McLeod. This was the best option for years on F-Bodies and Corvettes, until we released our kit. McLeod's kit flows less fluid than ours (it uses a smaller bore) and in the past has had issues with premature leakage and failure. Our kit also includes a heat wrapped, unrestricted stainless braided line that the McLeod does not.

Our kit is the only option for the GTO. Coincidentally - it's also the best! It replaces the factory soft rubber section in the line between the slave and the master with our heat wrapped, unrestricted stainless braided line. It eliminates the need for any other aftermarket "hard line" kit and best of all it installs without requiring removal of the transmission.

8) I've heard of some other brands having leaking issues. What if my Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit starts leaking?
We build our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kits around a Tilton Racing cylinder. For years, Tilton has been known as a manufacturer of the highest quality hydraulic components in the racing industry. Since our kits were released in September of 2008, our return rate is less than 1 per 1000 shipped. We stand behind our kits 100% and if you have a failure of any sort with any Tick Performance manufactured kit, contact us and we'll swap it out for you free of charge.

9) How can the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit actually SAVE me money in the long run?
By ensuring that your clutch setup is fully disengaging, you're not only improving shift speed and quality - you're also extending the life of the clutch (and we all know how expensive those get!) and extending the life of the transmission (even our cheapest rebuild is still over $1000 with shipping, etc.) Spending $309.99-339.99 on our kit now can easily save you thousands down the road in clutches that you won't have to replace and transmissions that you don't need to have rebuilt.

CLICK HERE to view our kit for the Corvette : http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master
CLICK HERE to view our kit for the Camaro / Trans Am : http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master
CLICK HERE to view our kit for the GTO : http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master

If you guys have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask either in this thread or via PM. For those of you that already have our kit, please post up your experience with it! I love hearing from both past and future customers, and I'd love to be able to reference this thread often when I'm asked for customer testimonials. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by Joey@Tick; 10-14-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Internet Mechanic

Very good Joey: I do think this should be made a Sticky.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my car (2000 Trans Am) back in April. When I got my car I noticed a slight grinding when I shifted into fourth gear really hard. I didnt really pay this any attention because I thought the previous owner had installed a McCleod master cylinder. I called him a couple months later and found out that he had put a slave and master cylinder in from a parts house (Napa I believe). Fast forward to September and I got a Tick master cylinder for my bday and I'm about to install it and the fourth gear issue is starting to get worse and worse, so I tear it down as well to fix it. I was not ready for the surprise that ensued!! I wound up having to order Tick's Level 2 rebuild kit along with a input shaft ($200) and a 5/6 synchronizer assembly ($115). All together it was right at $1000 just in T56 parts that I had to order from Tick. Plus on top of that a new GM slave cylinder and tranny fluid. This simple master cylinder install turned out costing me a pretty big chunk of change for simply negelcting the stock hydraulics. I had much rather spend the ~350 for the Tick master cylinder than to have to go through all of the trouble of rebuilding the trans and possibly having to replace the clutch any day!! Everything will be back together this coming week and I will post my results on the peddle pressure and adjustability as soon as i can. Then I will give the results of the power shifting after I break the transmission in. Tick's customer service was bar none when I talked to Joey, and their orders go out super fast. Thanks for a great experience so far Tick!!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a little link to a howto I made right after installing a tick in my Camaro: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...stall-how.html

I did it 100% by myself, to include bolting it all back up. Let me know if there are any errors.

Love the m/c! Do you guys make shirts? I'll do your advertising at the track
Old 09-26-2009, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When is the next sale or GP? What would it take the get the price under $300? Sounds like a nice part but damn thats spendy
Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

X2
When is the next sale or GP? What would it take the get the price under $300? Sounds like a nice part but damn thats spendy
Old 09-26-2009, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Good thread! Another happy customer here too
Old 09-26-2009, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

I would totally be in for a C5 GP....sux cuz im a NC resident and pay tax on this stuff too
Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words guys.

At the moment, we have no plans to do another sale or group purchase in the near future. As #8 in the original post says, investing in our kit before you develop any transmission issues or burn through a clutch or two could actually save you a ton of money.

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Love the m/c! Do you guys make shirts? I'll do your advertising at the track
We sure do!

http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...fbody/apparel/
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Joey@TickPerf;12286034] As #8 in the original post says, investing in our kit before you develop any transmission issues or burn through a clutch or two could actually save you a ton of money.

And the purpose of this part is so the trans can be shifted faster and harder, which leads to broken transmissions, driveshafts, and rearend components. So, yes it is a nice part and probably even makes daily driving easier, but is it going to save driveline breakage for someone who is having trouble racing because of a factory master cylinder? Probably not. Let's face it, the only reason people are looking at these parts and buying them is because they like beating the hell out of ther cars. Myself included on rare occasions.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
CARTEK Racing

Im disapointed... I have yet to see the answer to my question:

Does the purchase of a Tick M/C come with a lapdance from the ever so sexy Joey Anderson himself? If so, I'm waiting. If not, I want my money back!

LOL Keep up the good work guys! Cant wait to beat the **** out of ur Trans and M/C in the upcoming weeks!

PS. Stop slacking... where is my window banner?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Ordered mine yesterday.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
X2
Yes gp! If we got this under $300, I'd order it today. I just can't afford $340 at the moment.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Mine just showed up!!! Looks very nice, can't wait to get it installed.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 AM
12 Second Club

I found puting a peice of string or wire around the large wireloom to pull it out of the way made it a 1 person job. Any tips or tricks on putting the new line to the slave? Looks like there are some barbs on the slave that may need to be pulled out some?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Teching In

1BADZ95 - If you can spend $300 on this part, but can't spend $340. You might need to reconsider buying car parts. No offense, just a thought.

$340 is worth it to save the expense of rebuilding transmission and clutch.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
I found puting a peice of string or wire around the large wireloom to pull it out of the way made it a 1 person job. Any tips or tricks on putting the new line to the slave? Looks like there are some barbs on the slave that may need to be pulled out some?

It just clicks in. Make sure the little white collar is all the way out or it might be folding down some of the little spines.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would one of these Kits work with a 92 s10?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Any chance the use of the adjustable M/C on an improperly shimmed slave could over extend the slave, or at least try & thus cause a leak ?

Cheers

Deek
Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OZ38
Any chance the use of the adjustable M/C on an improperly shimmed slave could over extend the slave, or at least try & thus cause a leak ?

Cheers

Deek
Bump.

Quick Reply: A COMPREHENSIVE FAQ: The Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit