Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

very hard to get into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default very hard to get into reverse

After my clutch install a several months ago my car has increasingly gotten harder and harder to put in reverse. The other day i tried to put it in reverse twice and it grinded like as if the clutch pedal wasn't down. Also the shifter is wry hard to get it into the reverse position, i have to two hand it sometimes. Other gears work fine, was wondering if my reverse lockout might be going. Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wilwhite2kss
After my clutch install a several months ago my car has increasingly gotten harder and harder to put in reverse. The other day i tried to put it in reverse twice and it grinded like as if the clutch pedal wasn't down. Also the shifter is wry hard to get it into the reverse position, i have to two hand it sometimes. Other gears work fine, was wondering if my reverse lockout might be going. Any suggestions?

Could be the lockout sure. Have you tried this:
Put in 1st, roll forward a few inches, and THEN grab reverse rather quickly?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unlikely scenario...but was your car once an auto? They had to rig my lockout to the brake pedal after the swap. It will NOT go into reverse unless I apply the brakes first.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

My tranny does this also. If I put it in reverse it acts like ti goes all the way in, but when I let the clutch out I don't go anywhere. I have to keep pushing it in to reverse as I let the clutch out. 5th gear is also being a little beoch (similar issue as reverse). Oh well, time to send in my tranny to Tick so they can make it stronger.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamson5.7
They had to rig my lockout to the brake pedal after the swap. It will NOT go into reverse unless I apply the brakes first.
That's cause whoever did it made it the half-assed way..
Originally Posted by Darkreign2049
My tranny does this also. If I put it in reverse it acts like ti goes all the way in, but when I let the clutch out I don't go anywhere. I have to keep pushing it in to reverse as I let the clutch out. 5th gear is also being a little beoch (similar issue as reverse). Oh well, time to send in my tranny to Tick so they can make it stronger.
Your Engagement Teeth are squared off on the Slider and the Gear..I had the same problem.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
Your Engagement Teeth are squared off on the Slider and the Gear..I had the same problem.
Did the gear have to be replaced? I'm trying to get a ball park price when I do have to send in my tranny. Thanks, sorry to Hijack your thread.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darkreign2049
Did the gear have to be replaced?
Yes, I had to replace the Gear. The Slider can be just flipped around. I got the replacement Gear I used for $40, it was new. Most places are atleast $110..
Old 09-30-2009, 02:08 AM
12 Second Club

Does the tranny have to be removed? Opened up?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

It can be done by just pulling off the Tail Housing.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reverse brass blocker has a wave washer designed to push the blocker away from the gear. Sometimes the center of the washer wears allowing it to get caught in the syncro teeth. If your car goes into reverse easier when you apply pressure upwards while letting out the clutch, its a sure sign that the washer is the problem. I was told by my parts vendor that the washer didnt have to be re-installed but I did none the less.

Quick Reply: very hard to get into reverse